Methenamine?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Methenamine?

Postby okaylo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm

A urologist I went to prescribed a medication called Uribel which is an antiseptic, analgesic, and antispasmodic which is used to coat the bladder and is similar to AZO tablets but has a greater strength.

I have interstitial cystitis and was leery of trying this due to googling and seeing that one of the ingredients called Methenamine is considered a "urinary antibiotic/antiseptic."

I raised my concerns with this urologist about being cautious due to my cdiff history and not wanting to take antibiotics and was told that it is not an antibiotic and it is considered an antiseptic which prevents UTI's/bacteria growth.

Anyways, in a desperate attempt to coat my bladder and ease pain, a few weeks ago I took just one pill of Uribel. I didn't think much of it until today when my anxiety kicked up and now I'm so worried it will cause cdiff.

Has anyone taken Uribel? I know many posters on here have IC.

I just need to quiet my fears.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Methenamine?

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm

It is a very common prescribed medication. I tried it for a few weeks but found it did not help with the irritated bladder I had post Vacno. The only thing I have continued with is D Mannose

NanciT

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks NanciT. So I shouldn't worry about one dose?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Not at all. I went into detail about his med with my urologist before trying for two weeks

NanciT

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Thank you NanciT. I am still having problems. Flu like symptoms and loose stools... It feels like my body is going through a detox. I have also taken quite a bit of Advil the last few months for IC pain and Imodium to counteract the diarrhea from all of the medications I have been trying. This feeling is awful. I am trying not to worry but I am being woken out of a dead sleep feeling nauseous with a turning and burning stomach. I feel very gutty and loose stools are still happening despite taking Questran for 2 days. People keep telling me Advil nor Imodium would cause a relapse and my gut is probably just very irritated from all of the stuff I have taken the past few months. I just feel horrible. This is like the worst die off reaction/detox feeling.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Advil will not cause a C. diff relapse. However, if taken regularly for more than a brief period, Advil can cause kidney function to decrease. You should be having your kidney function tested frequently, as long as you're using Advil on a daily basis.

Are you getting any professional help for your ongoing acute anxiety about a C. diff relapse? If not, I strongly recommend that you find a therapist who can help with this.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:06 pm

AllisS, thanks for your response, your help is invaluable.

I had my kidneys checked in January and all was functioning well. I supposed I could ask for another blood test for peace of mind.

I went to therapy for over a year for anxiety about a C. diff relapse. It helped a lot and I was doing much better. Then I started a new relationship and was soon after diagnosed with IC and the anxiety started again worrying about a UTI, relapse from meds I have taken, and trying to maintain a relationship etc. The therapist I was seeing is no longer available through my insurance so I have found a new one and have an appointment this coming Tuesday. Most people I talk to have no idea what cdiff is. My last therapist had no idea what it was. I explained it and the fears and she helped me through it but I don't think anyone can quite grasp the fear unless they've experienced it themselves. What I do know, is I cannot continue on like this, torturing myself every day.

I have called my GI office for a stool test. I don't think my mind will rest until cdiff is ruled out. I made a lot of progress and here I am back tracking again all thanks to the development of IC and trying to get that under control.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Looking through your old posts you have been treated or possibly OVERTREATED because you keep testing even though you do not, or never had D.
Your health anxiety is probably causing Drs to perform many tests and because you keep going back they make vague "catch all" dignosises based on elimination, not on proof of illness!
Even now a positive test does not mean you have the disease Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Get help with your anxiety.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 pm

I was one of those who over treated due to health anxiety and also, like you, went in therapy to help as well as started anti-anxiety medication.

While we all process anxiety differently, and think it is great you are going back to see a therapist, would see if some grounding techniques might help in the mean time. Here are some examples - https://www.redorbit.com/grounding-tech ... r-anxiety/

Personally, have found grounding techniques to help and sometimes they can allow me to better see a situation versus what my anxiety is painting for me. In your case, your current GI ailments probably are related to what you've been taking. Advil, especially, can lead to a lot of stomach issues because it's a NSAID but your anxiety would rather have you jump to the worst case scenario.

Hope you feel better soon and think that addressing your anxiety may have some physical benefits too as it can really wear us down.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Roy,

The first time I developed cdiff, I had relentless watery D with blood.

The second time, I had loose stools and not the relentless D. Not everyone tests positive for cdiff and has watery D multiple times a day. I've tested positive for both the antigen and toxin without the profuse D. I do understand that most people are able to use the D as an indicator. I also know several people who were in the same boat as myself and did not have the unstoppable D on relapses.

I also understand from your posts and others that you are not supposed to test for a "cure."

Some of us have endured cdiff long and hard and were not easily helped with one simple round of antibiotics. For me, it took multiple rounds and two transplants to get well. That is where the long lasting anxiety and fear comes into play, especially when something doesn't quite feel right or you gut acts up more than usual. It's human nature to have the knee jerk reaction to panic.

I have gotten help with my anxiety and will continue to get help but I think that most people can agree the fear is always in the back of your mind and it changes who you are and you're just never quite the same.

Musings,

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions, they mean the world. I will look into trying some of those grounding techniques. You're right, that exercises like that can help you distinguish between fear and actual reality. Also right about the use of Advil and the effects it can have on ones gut. Especially someone like me with a sensitive gut. My GI said it can be very irritating.

I will continue to address my anxiety, as like you said, it wears you down. My energy is depleted on a daily basis just from all the worrying and magnifies any physical symptom I may be feeling. Thanks!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:58 pm

I’ll go along with okaylo but on the other end of the spectrum. I had watery D to the tune of 30 plus times for 9 days. When I finally gave in and went to the hospital, my blood work indicated that I was a mild case, as well as the Doc pushing on my gut...hardly any pain. Also the smell that I’ve been told is an odor you’ll never forget didn’t happen until I gave my stool sample at the hospital. I’m sure everyone is different but at 8/9 days in I literally thought I was gonna die yet my WBC was well within normal ranges.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”