Afraid and nervous

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Afraid and nervous

Postby okaylo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:14 pm

I am long term sufferer of cdiff. I have had 2 fecal transplants, the last one being in October 2016. I have worked tirelessly to avoid being sick and requiring an antibiotic since that transplant. With the exception of having to take 3 days of Macrobid for a UTI in 2017, I have avoided all antibiotics and have made it through unscathed.

Four months ago, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. I have tried a plethora of treatment options including antihistamines (Benadryl, Claritin, one day of something called Atarax), antidepressants (Elavil and Cymbalta) both for less than 2 days, a natural bladder supplement called Cystoprotek, Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, D-Mannose, freeze dried aloe vera capsules, CBD oil (drops and capsules), and Melatonin, all in an effort to alleviate pain and/or the urgency and frequency that comes from having Interstitial Cystitis. I have had various episodes of diarrhea throughout trying different things but the worst was this past Saturday. I have taken Imodium and the D has stopped for now but I am so afraid of getting cdiff again. I am shaky, nauseous, tired, fatigued, overall ill feeling, sharp shooting headache, stomach is burning and turning.

While I realize this is a site for cdiff treatment, I am terrified that something I took for IC is going to affect my gut and cause cdiff. I know that nothing I took was an antibiotic or possesses the strength of one but I am still so afraid.

I do go to therapy and have for over a year to work through the trauma of having cdiff and have made huge progress but when I have severe episodes like this, my mind resorts to the worst as I'm sure anyone who has endured cdiff can attest to.

Just looking for some support and reassurance.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Afraid and nervous

Postby AllisS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm

okaylo, nothing that you took for your IC condition is associated with C. diff recurrence as far as I know. Try to start worrying about this less. Hope you feel better soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm

The only concern would be antibiotics. Most meds for IC should be fine just always check with your Urologist before taking anything new. We have had several posters that have been diagnosed with IC and Pelvic Floor dysfunction( like myself) post CDIFF. Some are still in contact with me.

In my case it was caused by the Vancomycin which can irritate the bladder. I have tried several things, still take the D mannose but what has helped me the most is a QUELL tens unit. I found it online at Quellrelief.com It has helped me a great deal without taking any additional meds. After CDIFF my gut does not tolerate many medications. I wear it everyday

Sorry you are going through this, hope things improve soon!!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:25 am

You mentioned taking aloe vera capsules.. Aloe vera is used as a laxative often, so if your symptoms coincided with that, it could have been a trigger too.

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:15 am

I also was recently diagnosed with IC and have tried a couple of the things you mention without relief. What has helped me the most is avoiding acidic foods. Are you following the IC diet? After a while , you’ll come to find which foods cause your symptoms. I was able to ascertain that cinnamon, which I love, was the primary cause of my bladder pain.

I agree with the others that the treatments you’re on now should not cause a cdiff relapse. So now you just need to figure out what triggers an IC flare. I feel for you. IC is miserable! Hope you find relief soon.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for all of the supportive responses everyone.

JoElizabeth, I am sorry that you too are enduring IC. I have been following the IC diet. I also have GERD and IBS so I am already used to avoiding many of the foods that need to be avoided. I know many things that make IC worse but the bladder pain, pressure, and urge to go, never fully subside. It is the most uncomfortable feeling in the world. Thank you for your kinds words. I hope you are managing okay.

Beth22, I haven't taken the aloe vera caps for a few months. I only lasted on them about a week but yes, you are right, they definitely sped my gut up.

NanciT, thank you. I remember you mentioning the QUELL unit a while back and remember your support well. I actually ordered one but then sent it back as I started going to acupuncture and trying other methods/meds. Perhaps I should consider this again.

AllisS, thank you for the reassurance. I just feel terrible and it is very hard not to resort to those thoughts given my history. I am also very OCD and type A which causes a lot of overthinking and additional worry. I have felt bad since this past Saturday and it feels like my body is trying to purge and detox and that everything is just floating around in there, like a poisoned feeling. I have had a few bouts this bad before and it has taken several weeks to feel somewhat "normal" or back to my new normal again. I am just praying things start to settle down. All I'm taking now is Questran to bind me. I have taken a lot of Advil and Imodium through the IC process. The Advil is what worries me. Everyone keeps telling me I am not going to get cdiff from Advil. I just hope I feel somewhat better soon so I can stop worrying so much.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”