probable uti

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

probable uti

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:47 pm

I am 3 yrs post infection and had a urinalysis done yesterday due to lower back pain and some frequency. They found some small amounts of white blood cells so sent it off for a culture which I should get back Monday. What are the chances that it may come back clear if they found some white cells? Is that probable? In the mean time, I plan to drink a ton of water and continue with D Mannose. I had a uti in late Dec and survived Macrobid but suspect they may want me to take something else if this comes pack positive. I am terrified. Last time I had a uti, they wanted to give me Keflex but I asked if I could take Macrobid and they okay'd it. My urologist said at the time that if I ever have to take something stronger than Macrobid, she would probably suggest taking it with Vanco. I believe Vanco is what caused my problems in the first place. I've only had two uti's in my life and one was one week after I completed a 10 day course of Vanco for c diff in 2016. My second time having a uti was in late Dec 2018. I have never been prone to getting them. Maybe I am now? Have any of you taken something strong for a uti and survived it without a reocurrance? Of course I will increase Florastor and take Bio K if I need them but I am terrified and wonder why I am getting them now.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: probable uti

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi

Sorry you are going through this. You are doing everything right by having that culture done, it will clearly tell your MD if it is an actual infection that needs to be treated along with which antibiotic will work. My experience has been the issues of bladder irritation and UTI's were related to my 3 months on Vanco. I finally had my Urologist meet with a group of other urologist and they agreed in my case not to add Vanco to treatment. Our of all the Cultures I had over 3 years, only one needed to be treated. I did take Keflex and thankfully all went well. I am allergic to Sulfa and could not take Macrobid.
Hopefully the culture is negative, if it does show infection it may be sensitive to macrobid. Makes sure to review the results carefully with the doctor
Wishing you the best
PS I still take D Mannose daily

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks, Nancy. I definitely agree with you that my 2 weeks on Vanco probably caused my 1st uti. I am wondering if I am now more prone. Ugh. How long had you been c diff free when you started Keflex? You did okay with, righrt? Also, I read somewhere that Macrobid should only be taken once in three months. The last time I took it was December. That may be incorrect. Anyway, thank you very much. I''ll update (and likely ask more questions) once I get results on Monday.

Jennifer

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 pm

One thing I want to mention is although I had the symptoms, often the culture was negative. I had an actual infection 5 months into recovery( I had CDIFF for a year with 5 (relapses). I was terrified to take the Keflex, but I was allergic to the others that it was sensitive too. I did fine, took my VSL#3 and times it out. Continued with D Mannose etc.
If you continue to have this issue, see a urologist.

Hoping the culture is negative!

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:06 am

Nancy,

Thank you! I'm so glad you did well on the Keflex and only 5 months in! My urinalysis with culture reflex says trace amounts of leukocyte estrase urine and small amount of blood urine (microscopic but I often get microscopic hematuria). My urologist has noted that in my chart that it's not uncommon for me after I had my cystoscopy in October. Going to keep drinking water and hoping it is ok.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 am

I used to have UTIs before, and then I've met one doctor who told me a lifesaving advice. He said, the best cure for UTIs is water. Drink as much as you can, and pee as much as you can. Clean out you bladder. He also told me, since I'm a girl, to always pee after having relations with my husband, as this will clean my urethra and prevent bacteria infecting my bladder.
Thanks God, never had another UTI since.
I don' t know if it will work on everyone specially in case of severe infections, but it's an advice worth sharing and taking into action.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks. Luckily, this time it came back clear. I agree with all of the above and Mannose D too.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Dr told me to produce a sample mid stream, so I peed in the river Thames.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”