Tylenol

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

Tylenol

Postby lila30 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:45 am

Hey everybody,

So I had c diff may 2018. I've had a few scares of relapse since then. But overall ive been recovering. I woke up this morning sick with sore throat and now I'm running fever. I know not to take ibuprofen as it can cause stomach issues. But what about Tylenol? Can it cause a relapse or make me sick? Any advice welcomed, thank you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tylenol

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 am

Tylenol may flare up IBS a bit ,but definitely won't cause a relapse.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 am

Probably fine in moderation.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Thank y'all! I've been taking it and so far I've been good. I think I have the flu. My temp won't stay down for long.
If I go to urgent care, they will probably give me tamaflu. Is that an antibiotic, do y'all know if I should be safe to take it? I know no one is a doctor but would like to know other experiences.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 am

Tamiflu is an antiviral drug, not an antibiotic.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:12 am

I was told by my doctor that Tamiflu won't bring back c difficile because it is antiviral as was already pointed out.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:58 am

To be honest it's probably not something you should be going to a Dr for.
It will probably clear up without treatment in a few days.
As usual if you get severe symptoms see a Dr but colds and "flu" are self limiting.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:44 am

Tamiflu should only be used when it's microbiologically proven that your are indeed dealing with the flu . It's not wise to take Tamiflu for a cold (that is what doctors in my country advise patients). And if you would indeed been dealing with the flu , you would not be able to post on the site because you would be bed sick and running a very high fever ,too weak to even get to the bathroom.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am

Good post Georgina!
Many people with a cold say they have Flu and they dont realise the differance.
Not untill they do actually get the true influenza virus and literally cant get out of bed!
I have had that once in my life and had to use crutches to get to the bathroom!

True Flu is a serious disease and you definatley know if you get it, Its not a sore throat and sniffles!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:08 pm

You can get a quick test for the flu. However, you would have a fairly high fever, significant body aches and feel like you have been run over by a truck. If you don’t feel that sick, it’s probably not flu. If it has progressed that far, it may be flu.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:01 am

You can get a quick test for flu, but 1) it is not always reliable and 2) unless you take Tamiflu within the first 48 hours of symptoms, you may as well not take it because it won't help. It supposedly only cuts the recuperation time down by a day or two. I have never taken it and I would have to be pretty sick to do so because it has it's own side effects.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”