Strep throat post c-diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bear15
New User

Strep throat post c-diff

Postby Bear15 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 pm

I have had cdiff twice, the first in Sept 2015, we think the first time was from having my daughter in the hospital, followed by Cipro when I was having diarrhea and they were unsure why. After 9 months, and 10 days on Dificid I was cdiff free.

I had my son in Sept. 2017, given Cipro for mastitis in October, Cdiff again in December 2017. After 10 days Dificid, still had cdiff. Then did a Dificid taper over 2 months, still no success. Eventually went on Vanco taper and had FMT in June 2018. 9 days later was in hospital with Sipo virus, tested negative cdiff. 1.5 weeks later, another positive cdiff test. Had my second transplant October 2018.

I am currently waiting for my strep swab culture to come
back, I have a cough which isn’t typical of strep but I have puss at the back of my throat. The doctor is recommending penicillin as an antibiotic if it comes back positive. However, he has also said that some doctors have stopped treating strep bc the antibiotics only cut down the infection by 2-3 days.

My anxiety is through the roof right now waiting for this test and am terrified about what to do if it is positive. Any advice or previous experience with strep throat or penicillin would be appreciated!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Strep throat post c-diff

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:15 am

Hopefully, you don't have strep. Some people don't treat. It also depends on your overall health. For example, if you have any type of heart problems, then it is important to treat that. If you do treat, ask if something milder would work like a Zpak. I don't know if that is effective against strep or not.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:18 am

Your doctor is right about doctors moving away from treating strep. The antibiotics often don't do anything except shorten the duration of the infection. Supportive care is more often recommended - salt water gargles, rest, fluids.

We can't give medical advice here but I could tell you that personally, I would deal with the strep over taking antibiotics and the possibility of CDiff. I will never take antibiotics unless it is life threatening. This is a personal choice obviously so you'll have to decide for yourself in conversation with your doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:51 am

That's a sensible Dr, stick with him!
Antibiotics stop Strep complications and shorten the infection symptoms by less than one day, they do reduce the infectious period when you can pass it on but for a c.differ that's not your problem!
Complications are VERY rare in the western world so antibiotic side effects are thought not to be worth risking.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:40 am

Having already had nasty and recurrent C-diff, if I had some type of throat infection, before I used antibiotics I would try to gargle frequently, alternating between a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt; and then apple cider vinegar. The gargling would not kill the infection but, in my opinion, it might contain the infection and keep it from spreading until the infection might clear up by itself. That is what I would try but I have no idea how well it would actually do against strep.

Using 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt cured me of chronic sinus/nasal infections so I've had some good experiences with it.

I've also brushed my teeth and gargled with 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt for decades. Good stuff! :)
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm

As mentioned above by most posters, I do everything naturally before taking any antibiotic. I hope your physician did a "Regular Throat Culture" and not a strep culture. One identifies the infection, how much is there and also which antibiotics would work.

I have had a UTI that was cultured and my Urologist did not treat despite it grew out 50,000 col on the culture. He would treat at 100,000 col. We decided it was not worth the risk. We did a wait and see to make sure it did not move to the kidneys.
I also had a dental infection which required a root canal, I used peridox rinse a week before the procedure. We also did a wait and see and if things got worse I would have to take them.

Every infection is different, just proceed with caution. If the culture is positive and you are not getting well, make sure to go over the sensitivities that were done and the list given to the MD and compare it with what we have on the site.

We all know we are now at risk, we just proceed with caution. I hope that changes someday for all of us with a vaccine, this causes all of us so much stress and worry. I have been where you are and it's terrible, I still panic if I may need an antibiotic.

I hope all goes well for you

NanciT

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am

Betadine gargle like crazy, hopefully it will help... also vitamin C! Decision in antibiotics is between you and your dr, only you know how bad you feel. Good luck, God bless.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”