Stomach Discomfort and Recovery

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jlp
New User

Stomach Discomfort and Recovery

Postby jlp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am

My c-diff story began December 2018. I had been fighting a sinus infection for months. (I knew all too well the dangers of antibiotics, since my husband has had problems since his antibiotic use over eight years ago.) I have been fighting other health issues for over two years, and on December 19, 2018 I went in to have a cervical polyp removed in office. While there I still didn't feel good, and my blood pressure was pretty high. After my procedure I was given a prescription to take Flagyl twice a day for 5 days, to prevent any infections, and also was persuaded to go see my family doctor for my blood pressure and sinus infection. I happen to get an appointment with my family doctor the same day, and she wanted me to take an antibiotic to get rid of the sinus infection. Feeling miserable by this time, I agreed and began a 10 day broad spectrum antibiotic along with the 5 days of Flagyl. But remembering my husband's issues, I started taking an Align probiotic once a day, each day at noon. I completed my antibiotics on December 30, with no issues, other than a nasty taste in my mouth and dizzyness. But on Tuesday, January 1, I began to notice stomach distress. I was in and out of the bathroom 12 times, but with very soft formed stools. By the next day it turned into diarrhea and a sense of unwellness. I continued until Friday morning when I realized that it was more than just a stomach bug, and called my family doctor. It took forever to get a call back, but finally was told to come in to pick up a c-diff kit from the lab, but she didn't believe I could possible have c-diff since I had been on Flagyl alongside the antibiotic she had given me. Being too late in the day, I picked up the kit, and had to wait to return it until after the weekend. But by Saturday I felt like I was heading down hill fast. My husband researched and found some possible natural things to do for c-diff while we waited for the weekend to be over. I started taking Saccaromyces Boulardii once a day, along with a probiotic called Theralac. My trips to the bathroom greatly reduced, but I still felt unwell, and had no appetite. I pressed on, and Monday came and I brought my stools to the lab, and had to wait for the results. I had a previously made appointment for my family doctor for that Wednesday, but by Tuesday I had had enough, and changed my appointment to that day. With still no test result back, but with still suffering my doctor told me to begin to take the Flagyl again for 5 days, three times a day, until we got the test results back, and if it was positive, then I should take it for 10 days total. By Friday I got a call that my results were positive, and I began researching like crazy to find a way to get out of the horribleness of c-diff.

This is where my question begins. I didn't have stomach pains until after I started taking Flagyl (which I now know is not a good antibiotic to fight this thing, but that is currently hindsight.) And now being four days off of the antibiotic, I still have a very sore stomach. Is it normal to still have discomfort in my stomach? I also have noticed more of a pressure to go, but am not actually passing stools but twice a day. I have begun to get my appetite back, but still can't eat much, and have continued with very bland foods. I have begun drinking store bought Kefir three times a day, along with my probiotics. My stools are currently mostly formed, but most of the time burns my bottom when I go. Is that also normal? I am no stranger to digestive issues, being that I have suffered from IBS since 1998 after a gallbladder removal. But this c-diff has me very confused, and I just need reassurance that I am in recovery, and not in the process of a relapse. And advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening to my rambles.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Stomach Discomfort and Recovery

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

As you mentioned, Flagyl is no longer a treatment but it does sound like it may have worked for you. The D is gone and things have improved. It takes time for the gut to recover. I always recommend a follow up with GI if other symptoms continue but often people can get Post IBS. I had stomach issues for a very long time Post the year of medications I was on. If you have a history of IBS, talk with your GI. There are also medications that can help. It sounds like recovery, but we cant give advice, just share our own experiences.

I hope things continue to improve

NanciT

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Your continued stomach issues could be overuse of probitoics as well. I can't tolerate Kefir at all, gives me terrible stomach pains, and it sounds like you're having a lot of it. You may want to go without for a day or two and see if the pain goes down.

Recovery takes time and patience. Be easy easy with introducing foods back in to your diet. Go slow and don't be surprised if some things that used to be fine upset your stomach.

I'd you aren't having D, you aren't active CDiff. A good rule of thumb is 3 days of 3 or more instances of watery D. Anything short of that is normal recovery. Some people do still kick mild infections with Flagyl. Sounds like you might be in that camp.

jlp
New User

Postby jlp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for the responses NanciT and sammyp. You have helped put my mind a little more at ease knowing that these things can be normal in recovery. You may be right about the kefir, with having IBS I haven't been able to allow myself to consume much dairy products, and three servings of any form of dairy would be way more than I would have let myself have before c-diff. But I don't want to relapse, and have been trying to flood my digestive system with good bacteria. I finally found a probiotic rich sauerkraut yesterday, therefore I will remove some of the Kefir and replace it with that! Thanks again for the advice, it is much appreciated!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 am

Don't overdo on the sauerkraut either. It's a little dubious what constitutes "good bacteria"; anyone's guess, really. The benefits of probiotics aren't backed, as of yet, by clinical data; they're becoming something of a folk remedy. The exception seems to be Florastor, for which a few studies found a lower rate of relapse in hospitalized patients.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

jlp
New User

Postby jlp » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Just wanted to update. My stools became looser and looser more and more, with M, along with nausea and an overall feeling of unwellness, so called my doctors office. They wanted me to start Vanco which I decided to do. But instead of things calming back down, they have gotten worse. Any drop of food I eat ends up as D, and the cramping is much more. I just feel like I am in a never ending downhill spiral, and don't know what to do to get better. I am still taking s boulardii, and drink like a 1/4 of a glass of kefir in the morning. Is it normal to feel worse before you feel better?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:53 pm

it usually takes 3-5 days for Vanco to kick in and reduce the D.

jlp
New User

Postby jlp » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Thank you for the info Roy, puts my mind a little bit at ease. Just blows my mind that one day I was feeling almost back to normal, the the next like I am at the beginning of this battle again. I was prescribed 10 days of Vanco, hopefully that's all it takes!

jstep813
New User

Postby jstep813 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:57 pm

I was on vanco for about 5 days before I started feeling some comfort. Hope you are doing better!

jlp
New User

Postby jlp » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks jstep. I finally started to feel better yesterday (day 3). My family doctors office called today recommending I see a GI, just for guidance through this c diff issue. I hope I get an appointment before my 10 days of Vancouver is over, and hope he can ease my mind and keep me in the right direction of recovery.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm

I agree with NanciT and your PCP and always like to have a GI on board, especially if you are feeling uncertain “just in case”. They are “usually” more knowledgeable about c diff and the latest trends and treatments.

jlp
New User

Postby jlp » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:50 pm

I am currently 6 weeks post a 14 day Vanco treatment. (The GI decided to boost the 10 day to a 14 day treatment.) Things are much better, but I have many off days and still have stomach discomfort almost every time I pass a stool. Sometimes the stomach discomfort will last 30 minutes other times it may be all day. Today has been a very off day, because I did try some gluten and sugar the past couple of days and feel like my stomach is now paying the price. But besides my exploration of adding back foods, with being 6 weeks out, is there any hope that the pains after passing stools will get better anytime soon, or is it a new normal I need to learn to live with?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”