Ugh, I’m worried my daughter needs treatment.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Taraph
New User

Ugh, I’m worried my daughter needs treatment.

Postby Taraph » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 am

My daughter tested positive for toxins via EIA; we got the results about two weeks ago, but the sample used was solid, she had been D-free for 10 days when we got the results, and had been sitting in my fridge for 5 days so it’s validity is foggy.

She has been FINE for over 3 weeks now, some mucus in the poo and some constipation, but mostly normal BMs, and then yesterday after school complained of stomach pain and has since had mushy stool or liquid D 3x. I have the Flagyl prescription. I spoke with her ped, who said it’s fine to wait it out 24-48 hours, as it could be related to the cold she has or could be another gastro bug (two of her classmates had one this week) but that if it’s stilll going on tomorrow, I should start the Flagyl. I’m just bummed, I really though she had beat it on her own. Hoping this is a bug and nothing more - my younger daughter is complaining of a tummy ache and I’m almost wishing she gets D so I can say, “ok, it’s a bug!”

roy
Administrator

Re: Ugh, I’m worried my daughter needs treatment.

Postby roy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Just a reminder.
Flagyl is not the treatment of choice for c.diff!

It's highly likely it's not c.diff causing her current D if others around her are sick and have similar symptoms.

Taraph
New User

Re: Ugh, I’m worried my daughter needs treatment.

Postby Taraph » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks. I will talk to her doc about Flagyl, I think I remember seeing that in pediatric populations they still recommend Flagyl first but I could be wrong.

Her pediatrician is OK with me waiting this out a little as long as she is not getting dehydrated - she is eating and drinking pretty normally at this point. I’m going to give it another day or so as long as she is OK before moving on to treatment. She just went again and it was not all watery but not “normal.”

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”