Post c.diff, a year later. Need opinions??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mariaruv
Brand New Poster

Post c.diff, a year later. Need opinions??

Postby mariaruv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Last January/ early February, I contracted some pretty severe C.diff. I ended up in the hospital for 8 days passing/throwing up blood and looking like I was pregnant. Ever since then I’ve had tons of problems with my GI tract. I have a hiatal hernia , GERD, IB and lots of trouble eating. Pretty much anything I eat makes my upper abdomen swell like crazy and cause a lot of pain. I’ve modified my diet and worked out more as instructed by my GI (she said weight loss would help ease pressure on my hernia, currently at 130). I’ve kept the diet but gave up on the working out due to the fact that I would get super bad heart burn and nausea even with the simplest of yoga. Being only 18 , all of these problems have caused a living hell for me (I know this sounds bratty and whiny and I apologize, it’s hard for everyone going through this, It just really sucks not being able to go out because my stomach is being crazy or not eating out ever because I know I’ll get sick in public. I’m even hesitant to dorm during college too in fear of sharing a bathroom with others) Over time I’ve lost my appetite due to knowing how painful it will be after. My mom offered to have a doctor look into at least correcting the hernia through surgery for me, but I’m really unsure about it. Her hope is that with my hernia fixed, the swelling would ease and maybe the GERD will be too. I’m in between thinking it would be amazing not to take my medications and worry about irritating the stupid thing, and maybe it’s too rash due to it not being life threatening or super big. I’d love to hear others opinions who know where I’m coming from.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post c.diff, a year later. Need opinions??

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like your issues are Post CDIFF, some people are left with issues that need to be followed by a GI. You may consider getting a second opinion especially if your GI is recommending a Hernia repair. I would absolutely get another opinion and also regarding the GERD and medication.
I had vomiting with CDIFF which is actually unusual. It's just how my body reacted to it, I had 5 relapses over a year and each time I knew it was back due to the severe vomiting. Unfortunately, it cause a hernia and I am dealing with GERD etc, things I did not have before. It is not easy, but I would really look into as much info on that treatment, rather then surgery. I went through several tests to come up with the GERD diagnosis including an endoscopy to make sure nothing else was going on.
Something to talk with your GI about

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 am

You say you vomited blood.
Thats 100% not a symptom of c.diff!
C.diff infects your colon and thats 20 foot from your mouth so vomiting blood due to c.diff is not possible.
Your ongoing symptoms are not typical of c.diff either.
It sounds like the Dr relied on a stool test to make their diagnosis and ignored your symptoms.
Possibly it's just a coincidence that you tested positive for c.diff and it's not what is causing your symptoms, that's quite common.
Your Drs should still be looking for the reason why your sick.
Have they tested for coeliac? your at the typical age for that and it's often several years into symptoms before a Dr gets to the diagnosis!
Also lactose intolerance, especially if your not of white European heritage!
Theres lots of things that can cause your symptoms but upper GI symptoms (especially vomiting blood) are NOT c.diff symptoms.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 am

Another illness that can cause the kind of bloating you describe is SIBO (small intestinal bowel overgrowth), so you may want to ask the doctor to test you for that.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”