Formed stools? Day 8 of antibiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jstep813
New User

Formed stools? Day 8 of antibiotics

Postby jstep813 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 am

Hi, I am currently on day 8 of a 6 wk vancomycin taper. This is my 2nd relapse with C diff and I also have Ulcerative colitis.

Number of BMs have gotten better but I am still not seeing formed stools. My stools are in no way diarrhea but they are loose. The abdominal pain is also gone and I have been eating very bland.

When will I start seeing formed stools? If by the end of the taper should I still worry about not having formed stools? I am also taking 2 Florastor capsules per day. One pill with my lunch and one pill with my dinner. I am hoping and praying I do not relapse with this infection. All I do is stress and worry I won't.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Formed stools? Day 8 of antibiotics

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am

It sounds like the D has slowed down and things are improving. Everyone has a different response to any medication. If you looking for typical formed stools that can take awhile POST CIDFF, we often call it a "new normal" post treatment. You are just starting your taper, give the medication time to work. Keep in touch with your GI but just know this is a process. If the D increases and symptoms have NOT improved at all, see the GI When the taper is done, then we take things a day at a time. With your history of UC, it's more complicated

Nothing happens fast here. I was on Vanco for 3 months, things were all over the place during and after. If you find you cannot stop the worry, see if there is a counselor you can see and talk about this. We recommend this all of the time, this illness is tough to deal with. There is a gut/brain connection

Take care and I hope things improve soon
NanciT

jstep813
New User

Re: Formed stools? Day 8 of antibiotics

Postby jstep813 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you Nanci for the encouraging words. I am trying not to stress about it bc things are improving. I'm just wanting it all to be gone now...learning to take it one day at a time.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”