2nd relapse with C diff, when I will see improvements

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jstep813
New User

2nd relapse with C diff, when I will see improvements

Postby jstep813 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:37 am

Hi, with this being my 2nd relapse with C diff I am not sure as to when I will see improvements in my stool. I have been on vancomycin for 4 days now but I am still having diarrhea and some mild abdominal pain. The frequency has dropped from 20 BMs to about 4 BMs. I also have Ulcerative colitis. I'm slowly getting my appetite back but the diarrhea and occasional pain still worries me this many days in. Should I call my GI Dr and let them know or wait and see a few more days? Thank you

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2nd relapse with C diff, when I will see improvements

Postby NanciT » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Call your GI if you have no improvement. Everyone is different, it sounds like things have slowed down but with your history of UC, your GI is the only one to guide you.
Recent colonoscopy and testing are all things they can review for you. When dealing with this kind of infection, if you start with another illness it can be more complicated to treat and also know and measure your improvement.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:24 am

The fact that the frequency reduced form 20 to 4 BM per day shows that the Vanco has kicked in and that the infection is under control .However , you also have a IBD that it may be out of remission because of the Cdiff infections and that is something you should get sorted with your GI. Try to make an appointment as soon as possible , keep a very bland diet and stay well hydrated.

jstep813
New User

Postby jstep813 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 am

Thank you ladies so much! Today only 2 BMs and abdominal pain is virtually non existent! I really am thankful for a board like this!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”