hi everyone

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Medena
Contributor

hi everyone

Postby Medena » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 am

Hi everyone!
I have completely disconnected myself from the online world. Last time I've posted I have thought I had a relapse and panicked, as it is common with cdiff affected people. This thing really messes you up mentally. The doctor even refused to test me, he told me if it's only loose and less than 3 times daily for 3 days, there is no chance of cdiff relapse.

So, I did something and had interesting results, I wanted to share.
I travelled back to my home country and stayed in my moms house. My brother has kids and I have an infant. I literally developed fear of getting any infection as I want to avoid antibiotics under any cost after this experience. But somehow I knew that as long as I isolate myself from the community, and live with a bottle of clorox under my pillow, my gut flora might never get back to fully normal. So, I went against my instincts and started behaving normally. I played in dirt, went out and ate without washing hands, ate lunch leftovers etc. I immediately felt better, and I had no more loose stools. My bm became absolutely normal, I could control them and my life was like it was prior to cdiff.
Unfortunately, since then I had to come back to the country my husband is, and where I live quite an isolated life in a skyscraper with no garden, it's mostly hot so we always stay in our very cleaned place (we have housemaids who wipe the place clean all the time), and guess what? Loose bm again every day in the morning. Can't control it.
I have no idea if this is psychological, maybe related to my recent childbirth, cdiff or any other problem, but I wanted to share my experience as I somehow believe that the reason I was well in my homeland is because I relaxed and lived a bit dirty , the way I normally should all the time.
I did notice that many cdiff sufferers have the same problem and become too clean after experiencing this infection, because of fear of spreading it to family members, and the fear of catching something else that might lead to antibiotics treatment, which can lead to... well you know what.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this!

And also your thoughts please on the link below, unrelated to the above subject:
https://jcm.asm.org/content/53/11/3702

I had no idea you can be toxin A and B negative and yet still have cdiff binary toxin messing you up. I think they don't even test on this. Maybe this info helps someone out.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: hi everyone

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:39 am

Medena - I think what you say makes sense. I found that when I started to try to eat more of a variety of foods, I was better. Also, when I work and take my mind off my symptoms, I am better. Maybe you should try to go out more and not be so isolated. You do not mention what country you are in, so I don't know if this is possible for you. But, perhaps you can find a group of friends that can be a support system for you. Maybe since you have an infant, you can form a kind of young mother's meeting time. I used to do that when my daughter was about a year old - it was a kind of playgroup and we would meet once a week and the children would play. The mom's would talk and share experiences.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 am

Hi Beth! How have you been? Its great to hear from you again.
I live in the UAE, and here I live far away from all my friends. Once I delivered, I had to fight cdiff and had the baby in my care so I literally had no chance of meeting people. I got paranoid as well and ashamed of my condition.
When I went home to Croatia, I knew I had support of my mother and brother, so I relaxed and lived normally. I really think a lot of this has to do with our mind and the fact we HAVE TO be exposed to various bacteria to actually have a normal gut flora.
People in some underdeveloped countries for example surely have contact with the cdiff spores, but they dont get the infection because they quickly build up a rich gut flora, even if they are on antibiotics.
I have to add after I became pregnant, I became extra clean, and thats when cdiff attacked me (after the antibiotics due to placenta left in my uterus). Prior to antibiotics I've already limited my exposure to various bacteria.
This disease mostly affects overly clean people in the developed world.
I think we have to get a bit filthy to get better. As disgusting as that sounds.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 am

I think you have a good point and I have read articles that talk about people in underdeveloped countries who are exposed to more germs and do better gi wise.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”