cold meds and Macrobid

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

cold meds and Macrobid

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm

I am 3 yrs post infection and now have mild ibs. I completed a 7 day course (2x day) of Macrobid last Thursday for a uti. Took Florastor and Bio K and am continuing to take them. I feel like I've done well so far. Over the weekend I developed a really bad cold and I've been taking Zytrec, Flonase and Sudafed D. I saw my pcp yesterday and stopped taking Sudafed and started Mucinex DM bc I was beginning to develop a productive cough. I forgot to mention it to my pcp but have noticed that for the past couple of days I've had looser mild (pile-like tmi) bms. Can these cold meds cause that to happen? I believe this is related more to the cold meds/ cold than the Macrobid...I think. I never had this issue pre c diff. My plan is to continue the probiotics for another couple of months and switch back to my once daily VSL3.

sammyp
Contributor

Re: cold meds and Macrobid

Postby sammyp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 am

Absolutely it could be the cold meds. Lots of people have trouble with strong cold meds like Mucinex and Sudafed post CDiff. Not to mention, the post nasal drip from congestion can cause D and GI upset too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: cold meds and Macrobid

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 am

Definitely the cold meds can mess up your gut or sometimes the cold itself can give GI symptoms. I had the flu right after Christmas and since then i am also dealing with a IBS flare that doesn't seem to end.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”