New here - question about treating daughter

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Taraph
New User

New here - question about treating daughter

Postby Taraph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 am

Hi there - I posted in the “Questions” forum but I have...more questions!

My 6-yo (healthy) daughter tested positive via EIA for toxins a and b. Her stool was tested after an extended GI illness (the rest of the family had it mildly but hers relapsed after a 3-day break and then persisted for almost 2 weeks, mostly D [2-3x a day, sometimes watery] with intermittent vomiting). Our ped believed it was viral but because I was so concerned, she recommended testing for a slew of bacteria.

About a week into her sickness, I took her to the ped and she noted that it itches when she peed, so they dipped her urine and it was positive for a UTI, so she was started on a cefdinir on a Monday (Christmas Eve). Her GI symptoms persisted and I started her on Florastor on Wed. She never vomited after that and her D cleared up partially by Thursday (some formed stool) and was gone by Friday. However, in the interim, as noted, doc recommended a stool culture and I collected that - solid stools - on Fri and Sat, but couldn’t drop off until Wed. Results came in yesterday. In hindsight, I wish I’d never had done the stool culture. Ped was surprised that the test came back positive, and prescribed Flagyl but I spoke with her last night and she said that because there is no D and hasn’t been for 10 days, she is OK not treating (unless D comes back).

I’ll note that D cleared up almost immediately once we started Florastor and multistrain probiotics, but she was still on the cefnidir when it stopped.

Daughter’s GI symptoms have been generally OK, other than she will complain her tummy hurts sometimes and she seems to be gassier/burpier than normal (could be probiotics). Her tummy pain is often relieved by having a BM, which have been harder formed to softer but formed and have had some visible mucus (that before the C diff culture I would have thought was leftover from her GI bug having irritated her gut).

My questions:

1. We got the results yesterday but stool was collected and refrigerated on 12/28 and 12/29, and not dropped off until 1/2 because the lab was closed due to the holiday. Stool was in preservatives given to us by the doc’s office, but one specimen was not in preservatives. Is it possible this time lag affected the test? I’ve read that false-positive EIA is rare but then I read one study saying 1/3 of kids had FP with EIA, so I’m not sure - is this common?

2. She was on clindymicin about 18 months ago for 3 weeks following cellulitis from an infected bug bite. She pooped straight mucus for a few days after finishing it and that stopped with strong probiotics. This was 18 mos. ago but is it possible she had it, fought it, and then got it again with this combo virus and abx scenario? She has been on cefnidir for strep in the interim and not had issues.

3. Are we right in not treating since she no longer has D? Her doc thinks the c diff was from the abx and we caught it early, but she was still on the abx with no D when we did the culture. Could Florastor have saved her gut?

Sorry for the ramble. I just don’t know if she actually had an infection, or if she could be a carrier, or if we should do any more testing/research. Thank you for your insight!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: New here - question about treating daughter

Postby Ril » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Roy already answered all your questions so I have really nothing to add.
My answers would certainly be the same.
Of course a stool sample that old should not have even been tested but the bottom line is it doesn’t even matter because if there is no d there is no disease and nothing to be treated. Again, just as Roy said.
If you have any doubts take your daughter to a GI dr with expertise in c diff for a second opinion.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 am

Hi, listen to your pediatrician and if the diarrhea comes back take her to the er for a quick stool test. Also, as Ril said, find a GI doctor for her.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Medena wrote:
> Hi, listen to your pediatrician and if the diarrhea comes back take her to
> the er for a quick stool test. Also, as Ril said, find a GI doctor for her.

I would not take her to the ER for a stool test unless it is truly a medical emergency. A stool test will be much cheaper and more convenient if performed by your daughter's normal treating physician.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”