I believe Florastor is Causing IBS Type Symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LHutz
Regular Contributor

I believe Florastor is Causing IBS Type Symptoms

Postby LHutz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 am

I finished my round of Vancomycin 18 days ago. My doctor recommend that I start Florastor as soon as I took my last Vanco. So I've been taking 1 Florstor capsule a day for the last 18 days. The first week and a half I felt ok. I had some mild bloating and gas, which I attributed to the Florastor, but it wasn't terrible. However, for the last week my gut has been very irritable. I had diarrhea a 2 days during the past week, and I've experienced lots of gas and bloating, and lots of stomach grumbling and discomfort. I could feel convulsing in my GI tract, like it was getting ready to have an urgent D BM all day long. I've tried altering my diet and removing foods that I thought could be causing it but it still persisted. Today I decided to skip my Florastor to see if that helped. By this afternoon, my stomach felt much better and my symptoms resolved.

Has anybody else here taken Florastor and had a similar reaction? If so, did you continue taking it?

I know that that Florastor has been shown to reduce C. Diff recurrences. So I'm really hesitant to stop taking it, but the side effects are having an impact on my life.

What are good alternatives to Florastor?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: I believe Florastor is Causing IBS Type Symptoms

Postby AllisS » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am

Yes, many people have GI side-effects from Florastor. Some become acclimated to Florastor over time; others do not. The only evidence-based studies showing benefits of ANY probiotic that I'm aware of are those showing that Florastor reduced C. diff recurrence in hospitalized patients -- not in people in the "community" (non-hospital setting). Your own comment that stopping the Florastor helped your symptoms really is your answer.

Please see item I just posted in the Media section of this site about the potential harms of probiotics. There seems to be a general misimpression that everyone who has ever had C. diff should be taking probiotics. This belief is starting to be challenged.

I've taken a probiotic called VSL3 for several years; it doesn't seem to cause GI symptoms. However, in light of the emerging evidence that probiotics may not only help but may be harmful, I might discontinue taking it. It is extremely expensive and also needs to be refrigerated.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Robbie
New User

Postby Robbie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

I think the same thing is happening with me. I only take the florrester every other day, but today I had such a belly ache and gas, and slightly loose stools. I'm starting my every 3 day taper and I'm a nervous wreck. I think I'm going to stop all supplements. I see a psychiatrist tomorrow for some anxiety meds. I really don't feel well today at all. Maybe it's the probiotic, maybe it's the taper, but whatever it is I hurt. Maybe it's just a bad day. I want my life back so bad. I feel like crying all the time. Any advice from people who have made it through this time?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Anxiety meds are probably a good idea for the short term. However, all that psychiatrists do anymore is prescribe meds; they seldom take the time to get to know people. I suggest that you find a "talk" therapist -- an MSW or possibly a psychologist -- whom you can meet with to discuss your emotional state and get some strategies for addressing it. Many (even most) therapists have experience with people who have health concerns, and some have specific expertise with it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Probitoics are not one size fits all. I can't take most probitoics or eat most probitoic foods without symptoms, however, I don't have issues with Saccharomyces Boulardii (the active ingredient in Floraster). What you could try, is buying the off brand of Floraster. I've heard some people have issues with Floraster specifically and not with S Boulardii itself. Jarrow makes one and whole foods house brand has one (that's the one I take). It's cheaper too. You may want to try switching to that before you give up completely. If that gives you the same problems, you can reassess.

Robbie - definitely therapy. My therapist specializes in trauma and PTSD. I probably wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for her support. I have been seeing her weekly since my diagnosis. Pain, bloatong, gas, even a little D is common on the taper. It's also when my anxiety was the worst. Glad you're seeing a pscyh doc for support.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Some people need a psychiatrist for meds, some psychiatrists take the time to do therapy with patients and some not so much, some people just need “talk therapy” for anxiety and no meds...it is not one size fits all. You have to find the best fit for you but are definitely doing well to find a way to address the anxiety because there is help out there.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 am

I did not tolerate Florastor at all. I got lots of gas and bloating and also D. I tried a different brand and the same thing happened and I got a rash. I switched to VSL#3 and had no issues, but I only take part of a capsule.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I skipped Florastor yesterday as well and feel much better. I believe it was the Florastor that was causing problems for me. I sent a message to my doctor asking him whether he believes 18 days of Florastor was enough to get my flora in good working order and I can discontinue use or whether I should continue taking it. I'm waiting for his response.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Florestor does not get your good flora in good order!
It's just a temporary resident that "might" take up the space that c.diff likes to live in. (And might take up the space the good flora wants as well)
If its causing GI problems it might not be suitable for you.
Your Dr will have little knowlage about probiotics and will probably say it's your decision.
If by not taking it you feel better already I think you have your answer.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 am

I agree with Roy. I felt better after I stopped it. If I could eat yogurt, I would not take any probiotic. I take a very small amount - just a little bit out of the capsule and figure it is about the same as eating yogurt. One capsule could last me a week, so it is a very small amount indeed.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”