Cipro plus Vancomycin for kidney infection, post c. diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LHutz
Regular Contributor

Re: Cipro plus Vancomycin for kidney infection, post c. diff

Postby LHutz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:47 am

Sorry to hear that you're going through this, OverIt33. It is possible that you just have D from the Cipro and/or Vancomycin. Both of them can cause D. The probiotics can as well. I know it's discouraging and probably incredibly anxiety inducing to have D, but at this point, try to stay optimistic and see if you test positive.

It appears that you've done everything right so far and really did not have any choice but to take the Cipro. It must be really frustrating.

OverIt33
New User

Postby OverIt33 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm

LHutz wrote:
> Sorry to hear that you're going through this, OverIt33. It is possible
> that you just have D from the Cipro and/or Vancomycin. Both of them can
> cause D. The probiotics can as well. I know it's discouraging and
> probably incredibly anxiety inducing to have D, but at this point, try to
> stay optimistic and see if you test positive.
>
> It appears that you've done everything right so far and really did not have
> any choice but to take the Cipro. It must be really frustrating.

Yes, that's the conundrum. I have no accurate way of knowing if it's c. diff. And it is definitely frustrating and scary- at this point I'm just going to try and finish out the cipro course with the double vanco dose, followed by Dificid for extra measure. It's definitely watery D I'm having, but isn't all D watery? I've never quite understood this distinction. I don't have *the smell* like last time, but I understand that's also not an accurate indicator of colonization. I seem to be able to stay hydrated so far, so I'm just going to stay on course and hope for the best. Thanks for the kind and helpful words.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Taking vanco alongside cipro might prevent an infection becoming active, it will not destroy spores and could even keep c.diff in its defensive spore state untill the threat from vanco is passed.
Many experts now consider that taking vanco alongside another antibiotic may increase the c.diff risk, doing so actually kills more gut flora than taking cipro alone.
If you immediately follow vanco with dificid (without allowing time for spores to vegitate) the c.diff would remain in its spore state and dificid might not touch it.
Once you come off meds the spores could then vegetated unhindered.
Dificid is not superior to vanco unless it's used first, it has the same kill rate as vanco but because it damages less flora it has a lower relapse rate.
That advantage has already been removed by taking Cipro and vanco.
If you do in fact have c.diff you need to see a more experianced Dr.
Most would suggest remaining on vanco (if c.diff test is positive and clinical symptoms indicate it) and a long taper/pulse.

If you have enough c.dff toxin to cause D then a test would most likely detect it.
Vanco does not eliminate toxins.

Do not travel to buy vanco.
If you ask for the liquid form that is made from the powder in the vials used for IV form it costs around $100 for 2 weeks supply.
It's exactly the same med.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Overit33-How are you doing? Were you tested?

OverIt33
New User

Postby OverIt33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

AnxiousJ- thanks for asking. I was just coming in here to update the thread.

I was able to finish the 10 day course of Cipro along with Vanco the whole time. CT shows mild renal pelvis inflammation, which my doctor thinks is just from getting over the infection. Bloodwork and urinalysis should be back after the weekend to provide more info on whether my kidney infection is actually gone or not.

Yeast is gone, and has been for about a week.

I went 3 full days without Cipro or Vanco (no other antibiotics either) and loaded back up on my strongest probiotics immediately. The D improved a bit in texture/frequency but wasn't going away, so I tested and it was positive for c. diff. :(

This morning I started Dificid. At least with this one, it's narrow spectrum and won't kill the good flora. I can keep taking my probiotics while the Dificid targets only clostridia.
After one dose, I can say it's hard on the stomach, but I think it's manageable. Hopefully that won't change, and I will be able to complete the 10 day course. Anyone else here take Dificid? Personal experiences are welcome.

I'll be seeing a urologist to see why I keep getting silent kidney infections, so I can get out of this loop with medications. I do hope the Dificid eradicates the c. diff., but who knows.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry about the Positive test along with the D. I did take Dificid. I was on Vanco for 3 months before. I had no symptoms the first 10 days, then I relapsed. I went on a Dificid taper for a long time( this was in 2014/15) when FDA put a halt to FMT's in many places. I found Dificid harsh to take during the taper but it CURED my CDIFF after a long one year battle. It works! I was scheduled by the only GI I could find at the time for a FMT. but it was not needed after the Dificid.

We have many posters who have done great on one 10 day course, wishing you the best with this!

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 pm

I'm so sorry about the test and hopefully, they'll be able to figure out the uti/ kidney infections.

I took Dificid 3 yrs ago and it cleared the infection. I was diagnosed in Jan 2016 and was given 5 days of Flagyl by an incompetent pcp. she tested me 7 days later and gave me 14 more days of Flagyl. I then left her and saw a GI who immediately put me on 14 days of Vanco w/o testing me. Completed it, was tested (neg) and a week later got a uti (possibly due to Vanco). I took Bactrim, had symptoms 2 weeks later and tested pos and went on 10 days of Dificid. I had D and stomach pain almost the entire 10 days but it cleared it.

Good luck with everything!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”