Several reoccurrences

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
bcranor
Brand New Poster

Several reoccurrences

Postby bcranor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 pm

I am new to this site. I have been battling CD since September. I got CD as a result of taking Augmentin for a sinus infection and bronchitis. I woke 2 weeks after taking the antibiotic with massive D. I went to my PC doctor and was given Flagyl. After that, I felt better but the D started again as soon as stopped the Flagyl. I then ended up in the ER and was tested and found out I had CD. They put me in Vanco and sent me to a GI. The GI doctor has put me on Vanco twice and done 2 FMT. Both have failed. I am now on a Vanco taper and going to have a 3rd FMT. My insurance will not cover Dificid until I have done a Vanco taper. I am scared to death because my GI says he has never had a case that has not cleared up with 2 FMT. I am afraid that I am not going to get rid of this. Has anyone else had a stubborn case of CD?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Several reoccurrences

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

That is a short period of time to have 2 FMT's. Are these being done via colonoscopy? Are you on medication before the procedure? I ask because there are various ways FMT's are done. We have had posters on the site who have failed two.

Generally they would have tried a pulse taper of Vanco before, I was on Vanco for 3 months. I have not had an FMT, I did a long taper of Dificid and FMT was not needed.
Are you sure this is a relapse? Do you have D everyday? Possibly see an ID also or get an opinion from one.

Sorry you are going through this

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:10 pm

So sorry you are going on though this.
Am many of us can completely relate to the fear of never beating it.
NanciT has asked you great questions.
Colonoscopy FMT is the most effective method.
I can say in a few years on this board, I have not seen anyone who has had an FMT without trying a Vanco taper first.
Also there are some stage three treatment trials going on that a practitioner in your area could be participating in.
You should check into them.
I am fairly sure Open Biome has these listed on their website. They are advocating people participate in these trials.

bcranor
Brand New Poster

Postby bcranor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:04 pm

All of my FMT’s have been via enemas. I usually have a 14 day round of Vanco, then off for 24 hours, then the enema. The study I went into to get the FMT does not do it via colonoscopy, just enemas. That is going to be my course of action is to find a doctor that does them through a colonoscopy. I am also going to start researching ID doctors and get a second opinion

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:21 pm

I have had more than one FMT. The first one was via nasogastric tube and it failed Colonoscopy FMT worked for me. It was billed out as a colonoscopy and my insurance covered it. I don't remember if there was a surcharge for the FMT part, but the colonoscopy was the more expensive charge and insurances do cover this, so I would look for a doctor who does it this way. When you do enemas, you generally have to do multiple enemas on successive days. Anywhere from 5 - 10. From your description, it sounds as if you just had one and then another one after the first failed.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”