UTI

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

UTI

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:48 am

Hi, I am 3 yrs post infection. I had a urine culture on Wed bc of some lower back pain. Yesterday, the nurse called with results that I have a uti (E-Coli 10-50,000) and wanted to give me a short course of Keflex. I asked if I could be given Macrobid instead and she said yes. She said it should work but could be resistant but she would prescribe me 7 days 2x day. I took the 1st one at around 1pm yesterday followed by Bio K 4 hrs later and another one at 2 am followed by Florastor at 7am. I will be more on a regular schedule today. I woke up today with more pain in my upper back on the right side and concerned it may have gone to my kidneys. I just called the on call. Now, I am really concerned if that is the case. However, I don't know....it is possible it is just bladder. How likely is it that it could go from a uti kidney from Wed -F if I started the Macrobid yesterday?

BTW, I JUST recently began having protected sex with husband again after a three year hiatus bc of my horrible anxiety of potentially getting a UTI (even though I was never previously prone to them) and even took Mannose D every other day. We were intimate Sunday and I tested on Wed.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTI

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:14 pm

The antibiotic has not had time to work, generally it's 48-72 hours. If you feel your pain is worse, check back in with your MD.

I would also check with them about D Mannose. It's a supplement I started after having several UTI's post Vanco. My urologist felt it was a good idea and I have continued on it for the last 3 years.

I did have a UTI that had to be treated ( greater than 100,000 colonies) and went on Keflex. I continued with VSL#3 and did fine...thankfully

It's been 3 years for you, macrobid is a low offender and several on the site have taken it

Wishing you the best, hope you feel better soon

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: UTI

Postby MKW » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:05 pm

I just took Macrobid for 7 days for an E. coli UTI greater than 100000 colonies.
My culture and sensitivity report showed the antibiotic should work and from what I’ve read Macrobid should work for E. coli.
However I have read Macrobid will not work for kidney infection because it does not penetrate tissues.
I am fine still as of a few days following the round.
My uti symptoms stopped completely after about two days.
However the only symptoms I had was bladder burning and urgency.
I read a lot of patient reviews online and there were many people who said it took up to three days to work.
I can tell you I had D while taking it a few days. I took Imodium to get through without losing my mind believing I had c Diff. But I have SIBo and ibs-d so I never know what is going on with me. I had mild nausea most of the days I took it and low appetite that I am certain was caused by the drug.
So just FYI- Macrobid is a low offender for c Diff, but it is not without any side effects.
The concerns about infection and sex (for us women) is a Very important issue that i have never seen discussed on this board.
You are not alone in your worries, and now this has happened.
I don’t even know what caused my uti. I had a ct scan done the day before and had iv contrast and oral contrast but they say it is unrelated.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”