I think it Has Recurred--Feeling Dejected

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LHutz
Regular Contributor

I think it Has Recurred--Feeling Dejected

Postby LHutz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:16 am

I started suffering from C. Diff four weeks ago and I was prescribed a 10 day course of Vancomycin, which I finished the morning of Dec. 20. Since starting the Vancomycin I felt good and the D had subsided and I was making bowel movements every other day. I've been taking Florastor every day.
But this evening the diarrhea has returned along with that constant lower left side abdominal discomfort/burning/cramping. I've gone D 3 times this evening in the last 2.5 hours and I feel there will be more.

I'll contact my doctor first thing tomorrow and request that he run a stool test. I fear that I'm suffering a C. Diff recurrence and all that optimism I was feeling about going back to my normal life is fading.

My GI doctor initially wanted to put my on Flagyl but I read too many bad experiences with Flagyl and I requested Vancomycin, which he wound up prescribing. If I am now suffering a recurrence after Vanco, I'm worried that my doctor will pressure me into taking Flagyl, which I want to avoid. When one suffers a recurrence after taking Vanco, what is the usual next step? I'm hoping I can try Vanco again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: I think it Has Recurred--Feeling Dejected

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 am

I would ask for Dificid. It targets the c difficile and spares much more good flora. Like vanco, it is not systemic. Flagyl is not usually prescribed if vancomycin did not work. It also has many side effects.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:53 pm

I and many others were cured using a Vanco taper pulse. The FDA treatment guidelines outline the recommended taper pulse schedule and length so let your doc know he can refer to this for appropriate treatment. He'll also see flagyl is no longer recommended.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am

The good news is that I don't think I have a C. Diff recurrence. My bowel has been irritable for the past couple days but I only had 2 BMs yesterday and none today. So I think I may be suffering some post C. Diff irritability, which seems to be very common. I'll just keep taking Florastor, eating fermented foods and hoping for the best.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:15 am

You might try keeping a food journal for a while and write down what you eat to see if there is a pattern or any particular food upsets your GI tract.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 am

Glad to hear! Off days are extremely common in recovery. The three day rule is the best defense against overtreating.

A food journal is a good idea. Keep in mind while fermented foods are good for the microbiome, they can be hard for some to tolerate. If you keep having bad stomach days, try cutting out fermented foods to see if that helps. I can only tolerate them in small amounts.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:32 am

Just another update, I haven't made a BM for 2 days and I'm not having any abdominal discomfort. Good idea on the food journal. I ate bacon on the night where the D returned. It may have been the bacon that didn't sit well with me. Is bacon a known problematic food for people recovering from C. Diff?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Anything with a lot of fat is hard to digest. I got pancreatic issues after c diff and fatty foods aggravate that. Everyone is different. That's why a food journal might be good to do for a while.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 am

I've had bad D today with mucus but no blood. I'm hoping it's just a bad day rather than a recurrence. I almost forgot how physically exhausted the D makes me feel.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”