Ciprofloxacin for UTI

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Soimez
Contributor

Ciprofloxacin for UTI

Postby Soimez » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi I have to take Ciprofloxacin for a UTI is it a big offender of Cdiff or should I be able to handle it? I had Cdiff back in 2016

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Ciprofloxacin for UTI

Postby MKW » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I am taking Macrobid for a UTI and am on day three.
I am terrified. I had a successful FMT in March 2017 that resolved c Diff for me.
This is the first antibiotic I have taken since, except Xifaxan for SIBO/IBS.
I had D once this morning. So obviously D and GI problems can be a normal reaction to antibiotics even in the healthiest of people. I keep telling myself if it doesn’t progress to watery D three times or more in a day, to just try to mentally cope and get through this.
My symptoms were severe. I could not do the drink water and cranberry juice wait and see approach.
I think that we just have absolutely no way to know what will happen. Negative pcr tests don’t really mean we are negative, and probiotics are not proven to help, they may in some people is all clinical studies have shown so far.
For me, I feel a bladder infection can lead to a kidney infection so that is of serious concern.
If you have reestablished a mature microbiome, which you probably have in that amount of time, chances are good you will make it through the antibiotic round ok.
I can’t take probiotics due to SIBo, but if you can they certainly MAY help and don’t hurt.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Has your Dr tested to see if a lower offending antibiotic would do the job?
In fact has the Dr sent a sample for a lab test and not just done an in house dip test?
Taking clindamycin after c.diff is risky.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Please make sure your MD did a Culture and Sensitivities, there is generally a list of antibioitcs the bacteria is sensitive too. They test for several.
It is best to go forward with caution, have your Urologist talk with your GI. My urologist would treat only on the amount of colonies that grew also. Under 50,000 we would watch it for a few days. This was his approach because I had CDIFF for a long time.
I did end up having to take Keflex for 5 days when I was months Post CDIFF, but also continued on with VSL#3 and D Mannose . Thankfully I did not have a relapse.
I think we always worry, take care and I hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Roy I didn’t say clindamycin

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 am

Typo!
I meant Cipro.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:24 am

Ok thanks for the info unfortunately I think I’m going to have to take I’m in a lot of pain when I urinate just gonna have to double up on probiotics, the thing is my Aunt has taken it many times and never gotten Cdiff..

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:29 am

Cipro is a very dangerous antibiotic with many very serious side effects. In 2016 the FDA issued an advisory that Cipro should not be used to treat simple UTIs unless no alternatives exist because the risks posed by the drug outweigh the benefits. I'd talk to your doctor about alternatives. I took Cipro 9 years ago and it permanently damaged my Achilles Tendon.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Same thing occurred with me, it is one antibiotic that should be used with GREAT caution. Recently it was back in the news, they actually updated the warnings. I also have permanent damage of my left Achilles.

There are alot of antibiotics out there, when dealing with a UTI its important to make sure the Culture was done and antibiotics identified that will get rid of it.

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:08 pm

My liver enzymes became elevated shortly after taking Cipro. They eventually came down again but it is not to be taken lightly.
Also agree...I would not advise taking an antibiotic without a culture and sensitivity so you know it is the right one, especially when you are prescribed a high offender.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I will not be taking it!!

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:10 pm

So I never took the cipro but they gave me doxycycline and I just started it very nervous but suppose to be one of the mildest on your stomach

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:16 am

Cipro gave me c difficile. I took doxy with no issues.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:08 am

Thank you Beth for the reply

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I have one more day of a round of Macrobid for a Iti. I was provided with a copy of my urine culture and sensitivity report through the patient portal.
I was reassuring to at least see if I’m going to risk taking an antibiotic, it is at least one my particular infection will respond too.
I was afraid the culture would come back showing I wasn’t on a correct one and had taken a risk for nothing.
Good luck to you, this is so stressful.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”