Help

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Belissa2
New User

Help

Postby Belissa2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Well I was diagnosed just 2 months ago but back then I wish I hadn’t taken anything after reading many of the posts on here. I was given Flagyl and then told to stop after day 7 and start on vancomycin for 10 days. For 8 days after Vanco my stools were formed and still occurring 3 times a day then went to complete mush for 2 weeks then back to mush and sometimes small piles. My dr wants to start me on dicifid. I currently have some mild cramps on and off and just the mushy almost watery stool anywhere from 3-4 times a day. My question is, if I take the dificid will it make things worse or is it something that can only help?

Belissa2
New User

Re: Help

Postby Belissa2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Also I have only been on those antibiotics and nothing else and it’s been 5 weeks since my last Vanco pill. Would that be a help as far as my good flora coming back making the dificid even better to use this long after any treatment

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm

A lot of people, post-treatment, take a long time to return to normal or develop a "new normal". Deciding to treat or not is ultimately up to you but from my experience, it took upwards of a year to have more "normal" patterns and still to this day (2 years later) am not the same as I was pre-c.diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:26 am

Did you test positive for c difficile again? I would not treat unless you have an active infection with a positive test. If you don't have c diff and PI-IBS is causing your symptoms, there are other medications to help with that. There is also a medical food called EnteraGam that is for IBS-D. You need a prescription for it and not all insurance covers it, but they have their own pharmacy and it costs much less - around $60 or $70 a box.

Belissa2
New User

Postby Belissa2 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:13 am

I tested again and it came back detecting gdh and not detecting toxin a and b in which they then sent to pcr which came back positive for toxin b. Lately I’ve been having a dull ache on my right side and they did a CT scan in which everything was normal except they saw paracolic lymph nodes surrounding parts of my colon. I don’t know if that means I still have the infection or if that’s just my body trying to fight it off. My stools have still been small volume and small pieces and only sometimes mushy. And I still go bout 3-4 times a day. The dr at the Er wants me to take flagyl because of the swollen lymph nodes seen on CT. Not sure if anyone has had something similar?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:18 am

I don't know anything about the swollen lymph nodes, but I test positive on GDH and PCR, but negative for toxins and that is considered a negative test. Did the doctor think that the c difficile is causing the swollen nodes?

Belissa2
New User

Postby Belissa2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:25 pm

I told my GI about it and he says it’s part of the infectious process. I’m just so confused by it all. I can literally eat anything without pain. Have even had alcohol and it didn’t cause me any pain during. The only thing is my stools not being normal and now the side ache. When you guys say you guys eat certain things and it throws you off when exactly do your symptoms happen? Does it cause pain while eating/drinking or what?

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Diet is a huge part of the recovery process. I ate bland for almost 2 months two months post treatment. I remember about two weeks after treatment I tried tomato sauce and thought I was going to die. The next day I had D 6 times, gas, pain, and thought that CDiff was definitely back. But I went back to a bland diet and everything righted itself in a day or so. Same thing happened with roasted brussel sprouts about a month and a half after treatment. So there are still a lot of things I don't eat - all raw veggies, certain cooked veggies, raw fruits, and red meat. These things seem to bother me still even 4 months out from treatment now. If you haven't changed your diet, it's entirely possible what you're eating is causing your pain and BM issues. I would try eating bland and seeing if your symptoms lessen before rushing into more meds.

Belissa2
New User

Postby Belissa2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Thank you for your guys replies!! Your knowledge is helpful. I’m doing better but now I literally have tons of gas. That seems to be my only problem. Is this normal?? I t seems almost as if after anything I eat I have gas and even in the mornings when I wake up.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Your symptoms are very similar to mine! I have a dull burning pain in my lower right side. My BM’s are much like you’ve described. At times I feel like I can eat anything, but then I feel like I pay for it later. I never tested for cure after my FMT, so I have no idea what’s going on as far as being a carrier or not. I don’t have the horrible stomach cramps that came along with cdiff, so I Assume im just in recovery. The excess gas comes and goes for me. Best wishes!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 am

The excessive gas is also one of my many GI problems , although is not every day.Usually 1-2 cups of fennel tea helps with the gas problem.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 pm

A good OTC product for gas is GasX. Unfortunately the company discontinued its little strips that dissolve in the mouth, but the tablets presumably have the same ingredients.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Belissa2
New User

Postby Belissa2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm

I think my gas was being caused by kefir. I stopped the kefir and the gas went down a lot. Now I’m dealing with seeing blood. I never had blood with my initial infection. It’s a normal red color and sometimes is mixed with mucus. I don’t have D. My stool has been formed pieces Is this normal?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Blood is something that should always be checked out with a doctor. Could be something as simple and harmless as hemorrhoids, but best to make sure.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Belissa2
New User

Postby Belissa2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. I’m hoping it’s internal hemorrhoids as I’ve had a colonoscopy a year and a half ago and that was all that was mentioned at the time. I was more so worried if it sounds like c diff without the presence of watery D?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”