Spores life span

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Terpa
Regular User

Spores life span

Postby Terpa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm

How long do spores live outside of the body on hard and soft surfaces?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Spores life span

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 am

Spores can live for months on surfaces. That is why it is important to wash your hands.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:26 am

Being more specific I’ve heard for 5 months and a yr. Which is true?

I’m scared that I may have reinfected myself while cleaning in the bathroom near the toilet plunger. I’m post 1 yr cdiff free...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 am

I would ask your doctor. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. It may even depend on the strain of c difficile. I have read months, not years, but maybe your doctor has some knowledge of research that was done more recently.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm

I think it depends on a lot of factors, including the type of surface. But as long as you washed with soap and water whatever part of your body came in contact with the possibly contaminated area, you should be fine, even if there were spores on that surface.

And my understanding is that many of us who have had C. Diff. continue carrying spores even after we're "healed." So it's important that we continue practicing good hand hygiene.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:02 am

I seem to have the spores for life as I test positive on PCR and have done so for the last two and a half years. My EIA toxin tests are negative though, which means no active infection. Hopefully, someday there will be a medication that kills the spores too, but until then, wash your hands well!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”