Possible cdiff? New here!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Alveezy
Brand New Poster

Possible cdiff? New here!

Postby Alveezy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 am

Hi all i am new here but by no means new to gut issues. I have bren treating sibo for about 4 months now. During this time i have been on herbal antimicrobials, xifacan, xifaxan with neomycin, and most recently flagyl. With my current treatment of flagyl i was feeling amazing till about day 6 and everything flipped 180. I had gas belching, tightness in abdomen. I also noticed that since then my stools have been getting thinner and thinner. I was even constipated for 6 days near the end of treatment! The only thing is i have had similar sumptoms with my sibo, almost all of them. I took some mag citrate for two days and now i have been off any laxative for 3 days but am still having mis shapen thin stools. Diarrhea like at times or very partically and not formed or very thin strings. Does this waarant a cdiff test? Also how should i interact with my family members as i hear cdiff is contagious. I do not want my family members to get sick either!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible cdiff? New here!

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:21 am

Hi
It does not sound like Cdiff but if you want to be sure you can test , at least for a peace of mind.However, it's good to take precautions , such as proper hand washing and bleach desinfecting especially if your family members are using the same bathroom.

Alveezy
Brand New Poster

Postby Alveezy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 am

is there any partixular type of cdiff test i should ask my doctor to get?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:03 am

Sudden and continuing change in stool shape is something that you should ask your doctor about, as sometimes (albeit rarely) it can be a sign of something serious.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 am

It doesn't sound like c difficile to me either, but if you test, I would ask for a PCR test.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 pm

I had a similar experience while on flagyl and it wasn't c.diff, just GI upset which is a common side effect of the medication. I tried to eat bland food and a few days after finishing the medication, I started to return to more normal patterns.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”