Terrified about the Vanco ending

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ShannonS
New User

Terrified about the Vanco ending

Postby ShannonS » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm

So I am coming to the end of the Vanco. Tomorrow is the last day and I’m absolutely terrified. I want to believe that I will be fine with only one round, but it’s so hard. I am taking 125mg 4x a day for 14 days. I was diagnosed 16 days ago from a positive stool test, but I had symptoms for months before so I don’t know how long I had it. I was first put on 500mg 3x a day of Flagyl, but after 3 1/2 days of taking it, I was hospitalized for 2 days because of the side effects. I felt like I had been poisoned. They switched me to Vanco and about after 3-4 days I started feeling better. Some days I don’t have a BM, some days I have one soft BM, sometimes 2 a day.
I eat a bland diet of pasta, tuna, soup, brown rice, applesauce, low fat turkey sandwiches, broth, crackers, pretzels, skinless baked chicken. I also drink water, Gatorade, and Ensure Clear. I mostly eat at night as during the day I don’t really have a appetite. I also take Renew Life Ultimate Flora S. Boulardii Probiotic once a day. Also I am going back to work here in a couple of weeks after having now 9 weeks off work so I’m scared about that. I’m a security officer and work 6 days a week. I’m even scared to go out in public. I sit at home and watch tv.
How did people on here get through that period after treatment? I don’t want to go on anti anxiety meds.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Terrified about the Vanco ending

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Hang in there, it is probably one of the most difficult emotional parts to CDIFF, the fear it will return after we have completed the medication. Take it a day at a time, continue slowly adding foods. As far as BM's, once off the medication they can be all over the place. I found this once I was off medication. It does take time, everyone is different on how much time. Some recover quickly, others take more time like I did. But I was on medication over a year so I feel that was partly why in my case.

Try not to let the fear take over. As far as work, that is very individual. I had good days and bad days....I pushed through.

You are almost there!!

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Anxiety is part of the curse of c diff, as NanciT said, but don’t think you can’t recover after 1 course of vanco. Most do..I did and I have been c diff free for 6 years. I must admit I have struggled with PI IBS but not everyone does. Recovery is very individual. Add more foods conservatively and slowly so you know what you can tolerate and if you have a poor reaction you know which food bothers you. Continue to avoid fried foods, dairy, sweets, red meat, high fiber and alcohol. Should you need it there are medications that can help you so keep your relationship with your GI in case you need help. Expect a “new normal” with BMs but don’t panic. If you don’t have multiple episodes of watery d it is likely not a relapse.

We are here for support. Best of luck on a successful recovery.
Rita

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 pm

In the couple years I have been participating on this board I have seen posts from many people who have recovered and not relapsed after one round of Vanco.
It is good you were switched from the Flagyl.
I wanted to bring up for you that sounds like you are taking a good quality probiotic so that’s great. You are doing all the right things.
As you are able or if able to tolerate ... fermented foods and prebiotic foods are good to introduce to help restore a healthy gut microbiome.
There is an uncertainty factor with c Diff that is very difficult to cope with. There is no getting around that.
I say hope for the best prepare for the worst with this.
Likely you will be fine, but have a plan for next treatment if it did come back.

ShannonS
New User

Re: Terrified about the Vanco ending, Nausea is back

Postby ShannonS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 am

I wanted to come on here and let everyone know that after a day and a half being off the Vanco, I woke up this morning to nausea. The same kind of nausea I had when I was diagnosed with C Diff. Also my racing heart feeling is back. My BM seem normal though so I guess that’s good. Today I went 5 times and all of them were formed. It did seem that I had a little bit of C. I am at a loss to why the nausea came back. It went away when I was on the Vanco. I loved it when I was on the Vanco. The nausea is the absolute worse. I rather deal with anything else than the nausea. I had it everyday for 8 weeks before I was diagnosed with the C Diff. I’ve taken my Zofran, Phenagren, and Pepto and it’s only taken the edge off. I have tried Ginger Root capsules, and worn the Sea Bands, and they didn’t help. I started taking Zantac today because my heartburn came back. I’m a mess, I don’t know what to do. I have a GI appointment in 2 weeks, but my husband is going to call the doctor tomorrow and see if she can suggest anything. I’m so tired of this, I just want to be normal again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”