pregnant

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Princepg
New User

pregnant

Postby Princepg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:29 am

hello everyone i hope u r all doing better. i am currently c diff free for about two months but the thing is i got pregnant now by mistake. did anyone get pregnant after c diff? u think it will be okay? im very scared ...... plz let me know if u know or have heard a similar situation... thank u so much. prayers to everyone.

roy
Administrator

Re: pregnant

Postby roy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 am

Should be no problem whatsoever so congratulations!
We have had quite a few posters who did not realise that D and antibiotics drastically reduce the effectiveness of oral contraception.
It seems to be quite a regular side effect:-)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am

Congrats on the pregnancy and don't be scared about Cdiff returning unless you are not damaging your flora with antibiotics.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 am

Omg thank u guys so much i really dont know what i would do without ur support . I will keep everyone posted throughout the whole thing incase somebody else passes through it. Xoxoxox

NewLife
New User

Postby NewLife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Congrats! I have been wanting to start a family with my husband before this whole thing with cdiff started but have not felt entirely well and am terribly scared of taking antibiotics for whatever reason during pregnancy. I fear a cdiff relapse. I am 2 months and a week out of cdiff. But I wish you the best and your baby! Please keep us posted. :)

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Im scared to death. Im still not feeling well also and i cant eat everything yet.... hope it goes well i will keep u posted for sure and wish u the best of luck !

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Congratulations! Remember you need protein for the baby but may still need to eat bland since you are recovering and say you can’t eat everything yet.
Stick to grilled or baked poultry and fish. You can likely tolerated that well. If you can tolerate any dairy, yogurt and hard cheeses seem to be easier to digest than other dairy. You can experiment by adding some of those things a little at a time. Eggs and peanut butter are also good sources of protein and not high in fiber, which is tough to tolerate.

Best of luck,
Rita

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:35 am

Hello Rita, thank u so much for ur advice! I can tolerate all of those i just cant tolerate raw veggies and fruits. U think it will be okay? My body is still weak also.. on monday i have an appointment with my infectious disease doctor and ill post whatever she tells me incase someone else is passing through something similar..

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:52 am

Hi!

I’m almost a year out from my last dose of Vancomycin and is 37 weeks pregnant. I got pregnant almost 4 months after my last treatment. Unfortunately, my BM never returned to normal and is constantly dealing with pain till this day. I’ve been to 2 different GIs and tested negative twice for cdiff. PI-IBS is what the doctors diagnosed me with. I have epigastric pain everyday with whatever I eat. It has been a rough recovery and not really sure if I will ever get back to my normal life.

Fortunately, the pregnancy has been going well. Though I’m dealing with abdominal pain and weird BM everyday, I managed to gain 22 pounds during pregnancy. I recently tested negative on the Strep B test so no antibiotics are required at this time. Baby is doing well and growing. Make sure your OB is aware of your CDIFF history cause mine didn’t seem to think it’s a big issue if I needed antibiotics. If you’re Strep B positive, opt for Vancomycin as treatment. At this time, my OB doesn’t know what to give me if I end up with a c-section, but we will cross that road when it comes. I was told the baby will take whatever it needs from your body. Stay hydrated. I ate as healthy as I could...even if I had pain.

It has been a rough recovery and I’m not out of the woods yet. I’m still experiencing a lot of issues but living day by day. Your baby will most likely be okay. Take care of yourself. Let me know if you have any questions.

LT428

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:25 pm

LT thank u so much for writing here and letting me know it made me feel much more at ease. Congratulations on everything!! I dont think u should worry since ur c diff free for so long. I will be praying for you and please let me know if u get the time after u have a safe delivery in gods will. I will keep everyone posted as well. Kisses and enjoy it to the max

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Yes Princepg, I think it will be fine!
It is common not to be able to tolerate raw fruits and veggies for a very long time. Eat well cooked veggies and low fiber fruits or other sources of Vit C. Your gut needs to rest and recover from the irritation of c diff plus those things aggravate IBS. All will be well!
Best to avoid antibiotics but there is no reason to think you will need them in a normal pregnancy and delivery.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:55 am

Thank u so much Ril. Hopefully i wont need any antibiotics.. u all have been so kind to me i dont know how to thank u. On monday ill post what my infectious disease doctor tells me in case someone would find the information of any use..

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:26 am

Hello guys just want to post an update for anyone passing through this. Today i saw the ID doctor and she told me its okay that im pregnant and that in case i relapse vanco wont hurt the baby because it passes through the instestines only..
The weird thing is i told her i have ibs now and mucus sometimes (sorry TMI) she asked me to have a stool test done for c diff and also for parasites. I thought we shouldnt test without symptoms .. or is it because im pregnant? And she kind of doesnt this c diff causes my ibs and to her i should be able to eat everything. I think maybe the doctors dont know what we pass through after c diff.. right?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 pm

Not all drs are as knowledgeable as others...you are right!
There is nothing to be gained by testing without symptoms. No symptoms, no treatment needed!!!
And after c diff you are correct, many cannot tolerate many foods as you heal and struggle with PI IBS. I had a rough recovery and could not tolerate many foods for a long time.

You might want to think about looking for a GI with experience with c diff but that is up to you. You can get referrals from friends, your PCP or OB.

Rita

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 am

Thank you Rita! I think ur right i should be looking for a GI.. its more in their feild now since im having post ibs and all those.. hope you are doing well now and you can tolerate all kinds of food..

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”