Day 9 of flagyl, worse or better?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
oceaneo
New User

Day 9 of flagyl, worse or better?

Postby oceaneo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello all,

I am on my 9th day of flagyl and I saw some improvement in my stomach cramps and stools (number 5 on the Bristol scale) every night I get an elevated temp of 99.5 and sometimes I feel chills. Today however I used the bathroom around 5 times and the last two was pretty fluffy stool. And I felt the cramps and gurgling very slightly. As I am on my 9th day of flagyl, I have alerted my doctor on what the next course of action should be.

My question is that if they suggest I should change my medicine, should I push for vancomycin or difficid. Vancomycin can still kill healthy gut flora but difficid only targets the c diff. I just want to know the best solution because I just want to avoid the worst. Thank you all so very much

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Day 9 of flagyl, worse or better?

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 am

If your insurance covers the Dificid, I would go for that. If I ever relapse, that would be my choice.

roy
Administrator

Re: Day 9 of flagyl, worse or better?

Postby roy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 am

You had little or no symptoms that could be described as c.diff.
You decided to accept treatment based on tests alone.
Theres 3 meds that kill c.diff - flagyl, vanco and dificid.
All 3 are equally effective at killing active c.diff and resolving symptoms but they have diferent relapse rates.
Flagyl is now not recomended because it also kills most of the good flora species and AFTER flagyl is finished c.diff can often return.
While your on flagyl its 99% certain you would be c.diff symptom free at day 9!
If your on a c.diff med and the VERY MILD symptoms are still there its VERY unlikely to be c.diff that's causing them.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”