1st day after meds

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bern
Regular User

1st day after meds

Postby Bern » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm

I took my last Flagyl yesterday morning after 14 days on it. Had a solid bm this morning and just a slight feeling of bloating after eating, but my anxiety is full force. Is this how it's gonna be as I wait to see if I relapse? It's a terrifying feeling. I see a great therapist who says I probably have PTSD, as I've been dealing with Sibo, and now C Diif. What should recovery look and feel like? Does everyone eventually get better? Thank you for reading this and responding.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: 1st day after meds

Postby AllisS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:01 am

Recovery is different for everyone, but anxiety is something that many experience during the process. The vast majority do indeed recover. It's mainly very elderly and/or frail people who are at risk of not recovering. Your therapist's idea that you have PTSD sounds exactly right. Keep seeing the therapist and perhaps try some relaxation techniques to see if that helps. (It does for some but not all.) I do sympathize; I've had anxiety for my entire adult life. So I know it's important to try not to jump to the worst-case scenario, i.e., "Will it always be this way?" and "Will I ever recover?" It won't -- and you will.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you for replying. I, too, have had anxiety my entire adult life. I try to keep reminding myself that I am only 2 days now off meds, and any lingering symptoms are normal. Does anyone else have any tips on how to deal with the anxiety, or how to handle lingering symptoms, like belly discomfort or gas? I would so appreciate it.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I started Xifaxan to treat SIBO Friday, am doing ok so far, but am terrified I will develop c Diff again.
So am in the middle of lots of fear and anxiety myself!
I ended up having to go on klonopin following recurrent c Diff. I take .5 mg a day. I had lots of panic symptoms like pounding heart and racing heart.
Don’t be afraid to report your symptoms to your doctor and take medication if needed.
This is a psychologically rough ordeal with lots of uncertainty to cope with.
Waking up out of sleep with panic symptoms is something I experience also if not on medication.
Bowel problems and working full time are not a good combo. Worrying about job performance and unpredictable bathroom trips to a public restroom can really complicate worries.
Hope your Flagyl did the tick, and you remain SIBO free.
Just try to take life one day at a time with this.
If you feel good today, enjoy today.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm

I wish you to heal, Melany, I have very bad reaction to xifaxan but not everybody is the same. Please keep posting my Sibo is very bad. I start natural protocol and my Intestins are revolting.
Lidia

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 pm

It seems I've relapsed 4 days after my last dose of Flagyl. I spoke to the GI on call and he said my GI will probably prescribe Vancomycin now. He also said that there is a relapsing strain going around right now that doesn't respond to Flagyl. I'm so depressed. Praying that I can kick it with the new meds. I'm pretty sure I got the cdiff from treating Sibo. I thought sibo was bad, but I think this is worse. I hope you all heal from the sibo too. Anyone know what the success rate with Vanco is? Thanks for listening.... I will keep you all in my prayers

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:22 am

A relapse is full on watery D 3 or more times a day.
Anything else is normal recovery.
A positive test or minor nuisance symptoms do NOT indicate a c.diff relapse.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Roy,
It seems I do have watery diarrhea for 3 days now. Some M and B. too and lots of cramping. Do you think that's a relapse? I don't know what to do.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:39 pm

If theres Blood you must get your Drs advice.
It sounds typical relapse if D has returned.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 pm

You should review the 2018 IDSA/SHEA recommended treatment guidelines for C Difficile. Actually, Flagyl is no longer recommended as first line treatment. But it seems many practitioners are unaware of this updated recommendation.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Dont be confused by the phrase "first line treatment".
Flagyl is no longer a c.diff treatment when better antibiotics with lower relapse rates are available.
If they are not available (not going to happen in UK or USA) flagyl can be prescribed as it's better than nothing!

It never has been an FDA approved treatment for c.diff but historically it has always been used ($cheap).
Guidlines by experts now recognize it clears the initial infection but has a very high chance of relapse and causes the very gut condition that encourages asymptomatic, harmless, c.diff to become a disease).

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Hope you are improving! Make sure to inquire with your practitioner about probiotics to see what is recommended for you.
Many c Diff sufferers take them to help prevent relapse, but since you have had SIBO recently it might be contraindicated.
It’s like what is recommended for c Diff (prebiotic foods, fermented foods, probiotics) are bad for SIBO!
For me, I felt way better on Vanco than Flagyl. It’s like Rifaximin in that it primarily acts in the GI tract and is mostly not absorbed.

Bern
Regular User

Postby Bern » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:34 am

My GI prescribed vanco that I started last night. I'm hoping this does the trick. What has everyone's success been with this medication? I take it for 10 days. I can't believe what this disease does to your mind. I have never had so much anxiety before. Can someone offer some hope to me?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 am

Vanco has worked fine for many on the site. You should see improvement in a few days. Often they will give you a longer pulse/taper but that is up to your GI.
Give this some time, eat a bland diet and give your gut a rest.

Hope things go well

NanciT

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 pm

A Vanco taper pulse is what finally worked for me! I have been in remission for 3 months now. The anxiety has been one of the worst parts of this for me. Just know that if your ten day doesn't work you still have plenty of options for treatment. Have a plan B with your doc in case of relapse (taper pulse of Vanco, Dificid, fmt) and that helps a little. Otherwise try to eat bland, rest as much as possible and find ways to alleviate anxiety (therapy, meditation, meds, whatever works for you). I hope you feel better soon. Five months ago I was suicidal and wanted to die instead of keep dealing with this. It gets better, I promise. Its a hard infection to beat but most everyone does. It just finding the right treatment for you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”