PCR testing - Question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Vernw
New User

PCR testing - Question

Postby Vernw » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Group,

I'm sorry to be a bother again to all of you. I'm reviewing my test results again like a crazy lady. My GI ran the PCR test on me which came back positive but he did not run the ELISA test to see which toxin tested positive on it (A or B). Does a PCR test alone indicate that I am in fact positive for C Diff? I read online that PCR tests are 100% sensitive but only have a 45% positive predictive value for C Diff.

I have a meeting with him at 4:00pm to discuss my antibiotics and I'm going to raise this concern to him. Is this an acceptable concern to raise up? I want to make sure I'm not coming off like a crazy patient to him. My white blood cell count was also at 0 and I have read that with infections, WBC counts are elevated. My CBC was also all normal.

My Bristol Stool Scale has been at a 4 & 5 for the last month, before and after I have started the antibiotics.

TIA!

roy
Administrator

Re: PCR testing - Question

Postby roy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm

C.diff can be a normal gut inhabitant, it's only a problem if it overgrows.
Even then it's only a problem if it causes symptoms.
It's called "host response".
If your body has immunity to c.diff and does not respond to the infection theres no disease.
If theres no disease you can have a bucket full of c.diff and not need treating.
If your one of the people that have c.diff as part of their normal flora you would test positive even though your not sick.
It's a bit like contracting tetanus (another clostridia) you still get the bug but vaccination teaches your body not to react to its toxins.
Vaccination can occur naturally.
C.diff is the name of the bacteria that might cause clostridium difficile colitis.
Two very separate things.
No colitis = no disease.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”