Has anyone gotten a CDiff infection from Amoxicillin?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Soimez
Contributor

Has anyone gotten a CDiff infection from Amoxicillin?

Postby Soimez » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone has gotten Cdiff from Amoxicillin? Im having a problem getting rid of a bad Sinus infection and if it’s not gone in another week I need to go on amoxicillin!! I’m almost 2 years Cdiff free after a 3 relapse 7 month battle...I’m sick of being scared to have to take antibiotics if it’s needed!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Has anyone gotten a CDiff infection from Amoxicillin?

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 pm

If you look in the CDI section there is a section about antibiotics and which are at highest, medium and lowest risk for causing C. difficile infection.Amoxicillin is a high risk antibiotic. Sinus infections are often caused by viruses even after they last for longer than we would like. There is a section there about remedies you can try for cures. You also might want to ask for a culture and sensitivity before taking any antibiotic to make sure you are taking the correct antibiotic IF you absolutely need one and make sure you are taking probiotics.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 am

As Nanci said , most sinus infections are viral and in many countries are not treated and allowed to run their course.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks for the advice I’ve been battling this one for almost a month!!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi, I had recurrent c Diff and a successful FMT in March of 2017. I also have chronic sinus problems.
I have had three episodes of what felt to be a sinus infection since my FMT. Each time I have used saline nasal spray multiple times a day, and also inhaled garlic steam twice a day until symptoms were gone, and ran a humidifier at night.
I crushed a couple cloves of garlic and boiled and inhaled the steam for about ten minutes each time.
All three times my sinus problems cleared without an antibiotic.
I have no way to know if the garlic helped or not for sure.
But it’s harmless, and possibly helpful.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi thank you very much for the reply I’m going to give it a shot..

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 pm

I suffered from frequent bacterial sinus infections for many years. I was always given Amoxicillin to clear up the infection. But, a week or two; or a month or two later, I would just suffer from another sinus infection. I went thru numerous rounds of Amoxicillin, for many years, and only contracted C-diff after taking Clindamycin.

The last time I ever suffered from a sinus infection was back in 2001. It was only a few days after Amoxicillin had just cleared up a sinus infection. Out of complete, desperate frustration, I stupidly hung my head down on the shower floor and recklessly flooded my sinuses with diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide, a very dangerous and stupid thing to do. I wanted to kill whatever was in my sinuses. Fortunately, after seven months, it turned out to be successful. I've been sinus infection free since then.

Anyway... I have also taken Bactrim DS and Cephalexin antibiotics without a problem. It was only after taking Clindamycin that I contracted the nasty, painful, debilitating C-diff.

Best of luck and health, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Bob thank you so much for your reply and makes me feel so much better, I contracted Cdiff from clindmycin as well, and I’ve been so frightened to take an antibiotic. I’ve had some pretty nasty colds that probably could of usesd one but just suffered but maybe not treating these bactieria can cause damage.. I just want to face my fear and be able to take an antibiotic with no problem and finally feel normal again.. everyone at my work that got hit with this same infection took antibiotic and cleared it up with no problems.. thanks again Bob much appreciate..

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Colds are not treated with antibiotics!
Colds are caused by a virus and antibiotics have no effect on viruses!

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes agreed but colds and sinus infection can become bacterial infection if not treated properly!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ef4QHUS5760

I hope this plays on US computers.
It's on Englands TV about 10 times a day at the moment.

If you expect antibiotics for such minor infections then your playing Russian roulette with c.diff.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:38 pm

When I was younger, when I suffered cold-like symptoms I did not treat them with antibiotics, especially if the symptoms seemed to be from swelled, irritated sinuses from my allergies. As Roy says, an antibiotic is useless against viruses. Usually viruses are responsible for colds, or the cold-like symptoms were from allergies, which also won't be helped by antibiotics.

I usually waited the cold out and after a while the symptoms would improve, especially if I had soreness in my upper throat area indicating allergy-caused sinus swelling. However... if my symptoms were getting much worse and I got blood specs with the mucus, or my throat would get sore in the back or front of my throat, I would get on antibiotics, namely Amoxicillin. This ALWAYS worked. After a few days on Amoxicillin my symptoms would get considerably better.

My thinking was that, a virus started the cold but after a while opportunist bacteria moved into, and attacked the sinus membranes (which had been injured by the virus), and then spread into my throat, making the symptoms much worse. It makes sense, to me. Where ever there are wounds, opportunistic bacteria will attack. Who cares if the damage/wounds came from injury or virus or allergies?

These were just personal observations. I have no idea if my thinking was factual or wrong. But, it worked every time. I would not take Amoxicillin for a cold, but after the "cold" got much worse, Amoxicillin rode into my rescue on a white horse! :)
Last edited by Machaon on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Colds NEVER become bacterial infections! They are caused by viruses. It is a medical fact. If you get strept throat that might be caused by a bacteria but that is not a cold. Antibiotics do not help to clear up a cold faster. It is just a coincidence and the cold has just run it’s course. A dr who has prescribed antibiotics for your cold is doing you no favors and is just doing it to keep you happy because you want them. You should treat the symptoms such as cough medicine, decongestant, etc as needed.

Again, the CDI section has many useful things you can try for dealing with sinus infections without taking antibiotics that have worked for posters, including one my ENT dr told me to use.

oceaneo
New User

Postby oceaneo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

I got a c diff infection from amoxicillin! Granted, I didn’t need it because I had the stomach flu at first. Just be careful and maybe ask your doctor if they can give you other options like zythromax

Ebeattie
New User

Postby Ebeattie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:00 am

I've just relapsed from taking Amoxicillin for strep throat!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”