Has anyone gotten a CDiff infection from Amoxicillin?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TedGil
Regular User

Re: Has anyone gotten a CDiff infection from Amoxicillin?

Postby TedGil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:01 pm

I got C.Diff from Amoxicillin for an ear infection which I don't think I really had. The Amoxicillin also caused a large rash on my back for which I should have taken the cue to stop taking it. That antibiotic is now on my medical record as being allergic to.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am

TedGil, that's a good idea to have an antibiotic that caused C. diff listed as an allergy; I did the same thing with clindamycin. I hope you'll go to the FDA's Adverse Event website -- you can access it via the link at the end of my post -- to report your experience with amoxicillin.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:45 am

A simple skin test indicates if someone is allergic to a certain medication.
Its fact that at least 50% of people that say they are allergic to penicillin are wrong!
That mistake rules out an awful lot of low offending antibiotics!

Allis.
Declaring yourself allergic to clindamycin might not be a good move.
Allergic reaction is totaly diferent to an adverse effect on gut flora.
I can understand why you did that though.
If your ever in a coma because of unidetified sytemic septacemia and clinda cant be used you might be in big trouble!
It's used far too often for minor problems but dont rule it out in a lifesaving situation.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Roy, it actually wasn't my idea to list it as an allergy; one of the medical people whom I saw decided to list it that way after I mentioned my experience with it. I take your point, however, so thanks for bringing it to my (and the poster to whom I was replying) attention. I'm going to talk w/my PCP about possibly amending that information.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”