Probiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

Probiotics

Postby Napper » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi there. I had Cdiff almost a year ago. Had to have a FMT to be cured. I've been taking probiotics since. My question is how do I know which one is the best? There are SO many! I'm a little worried, since I've started having D again and it feels like it did then. I'm not going to panic and will give it some time, but in the meantime, want to make sure I'm taking the best probiotic.

Thank you for any suggestions.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics

Postby AllisS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:09 am

I don't think there is any "best" probiotic. Data showing the efficacy of probiotics is still lacking, and which types or dosages are superior (if any) is an unknown. I take VSL3 once a day on the basis of it can't hurt (hopefully) and could help. I've been told that Florastor is the best probiotic to take before and after a hospitalization, though I recently tried to take it and ended up with bad GI effects. (Any probiotic can cause GI symptoms.) I've also read that it's a good idea to look for a probiotic that has a lot of "strains"; a pharmacist or health-food store might be able to recommend one. Basically, taking probiotics requires a leap of faith that they might be helping, since it's mostly in the realm of speculation so far.

>
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:37 am

As Aliss said , there is no such thing as the best probiotic , you just have to try a brand and see if it helps you. There are yeast based probiotics , bacteria probiotics or spore based probiotics. The yeast and the spore probiotics are considered to be "a better option" because they can be taken along with the antibiotics , because they won't be killed by it.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for clearing this up. I'm now very nervous that I have cdiff again. I've had D for three days and last night I was up every couple of hours. It's not full liquid, but still bad. I'm scared to go to the hosp. I don't think I can do this again.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:15 am

There are so many reasons, other than C. diff, that someone might have D. Try not to jump to the worst-case scenario and give it another couple of days. Meanwhile, you may want to eat a bland diet such as BRAT (bananas/rice/applesauce/toast). If you don't improve or if things get worse, give your doctor a call.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am

AllisS wrote:
> There are so many reasons, other than C. diff, that someone might have D.
> Try not to jump to the worst-case scenario and give it another couple of
> days. Meanwhile, you may want to eat a bland diet such as BRAT
> (bananas/rice/applesauce/toast). If you don't improve or if things get
> worse, give your doctor a call.

You're right. It just feels the same way, so I'm panicking. Thank you.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm

What worked for me and I still take to this day is Bio K, sacc boulardi and also I drink a quality kefir everyday also I was eating an all natural sauerkraut that’s was packed full of probiotics. Any type of fermented food will help tho. Stay away from the probiotic pills there garage I tried all sorts 50 billion 80 billion 100 billion none of them worked and they crushed my wallet, stick to fermented foods,bio k and sacc biulardi this was the only pill that I found helped.
Food is medicine!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 am

Eating sauerkraut in the middle of a D episode may not be such a great idea , even if it contains probiotics it's still cabbage and very high in fiber , and it may make things worse.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”