Firvanq

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
bophabut
New User

Firvanq

Postby bophabut » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 pm

What is the reason why this has to be disposed of after 14 days?

hopenow
Regular User

Re: Firvanq

Postby hopenow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:42 am

This is what I took about 2 weeks ago, I actually had to be prescribed another dose as I held off taking it for a couple of days which took me over having it for the 14 days. My pharmacist said it was to do with the effectiveness of the antibiotic that is not stable after 14 days.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 am

Firvanq
It's the manufacturers answer to the fact that liquid vancomycin reconstituted from the powder in the vials used for IV is far cheaper than the branded pill version.
Someone saw the opportunity to make it a branded product.
They brought out a liquid version, put it through "tests" and can then charge extra $$$ for it.
The original, very cheap, compounded liquid vanco is EXACTLY the same med AND much cheaper!
As for shelf life.
It "probably" lasts a lot longer than 2 weeks but the liquid versions have to be refrigerated and can be contaminated once opened.
Light degrades anything liquid and bacteria can grow in a liquid.
The manufacturer has to cover all eventualities including it's if not kept under optimum conditions by the user.
Tests on the old version showed it lasted a lot longer but the official cut off is 14 days.

bophabut
New User

Postby bophabut » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the responses. Does compounded oral liquid vancomycin have a longer “life” than Firvanq? I have a Rx for compounded Vanc but am concerned about the 14 day issue.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:55 pm

It's the same.
14 days.
You cant keep it for future use.

bophabut
New User

Postby bophabut » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm

The Rx I received from the rehab facility has no expiration date shown and was compounded on 09/28/2018 for use starting on 10/07 through 10/21. The only notation on the bottle is to keep refrigerated.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm

I am confused.
Why were you prescribed vanco by the rehab?
If you have gone over a month with active c.diff without treating it you would probably be very sick by now!
If you dont have frequent watery D you probably dont have c.diff as a disease.

bophabut
New User

Postby bophabut » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Sorry. I was given it for cdiff right before discharge. I took the meds as described and my GP gave me another Rx which turned out to be Firvanq is where I saw the 14 day dispose issue. I am starting a taper treatment and am just trying to find out if my original Rx would be better. Going by the dates and lack of warning I would want to use that medication.
Again, sorry for the confusion. I appreciate your help.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm

If theres no warning on the first bottle of liquid vanco that's a mistake by the pharmacist, not an indication that it's going to last longer.
If you need more after the 14 days you should get a new prescription.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”