How long after being Cdiff free is it safe to take an antibiotic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Soimez
Contributor

How long after being Cdiff free is it safe to take an antibiotic

Postby Soimez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:15 am

Hi everyone I was wondering I’ve been free of Cdiff for about 2 years but I’m always scared to death when I get sick that I might need an antibiotic.. I keep up in my probiotic everyday but when is it safe to take one if you really need it?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long after being Cdiff free is it safe to take an antibiotic

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 am

Is never 100% safe to take an antibiotic but there are some antibiotics that are safer then others , look for the list under CDI.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 am

Yes I understand that but growing up I always took antibiotics when I was sick with no problem, it wasn’t till I was given clindymicn that I develop a c diff infection. I don’t want to be afraid of taking an atibiotic if I really need.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am

Used appropriately they are lifesavers.
They should not be used for a minor inconvenient illness that aways gets better by itself.

"growing up I always took antibiotics when I was sick with no problem"
Yes you did, you eventually got c.diff because your gut flora was constantly being damaged.
Cipro was just the last straw!

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Roy, when I said I took it growing up I didn’t mean like all the time I meant in my 38 year I had used antibiotics maybe 10 times.. but my mom and aunt they use it every year and they have never had Cdiff. The reason why I ask this is cause I’ve been battling a bad sinus cold/ infection for over 3 weeks now and it just doesn’t seem to want to go away that’s why I’m worried that I might need an antibiotic

AnnieKr
New User

Postby AnnieKr » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 pm

I too am battling a 3 week old sinus infection. It got better than worse. My PCP knows my history (2012: r10 month recurrent cdiff, FMT cured), and knows I’m petrified to take an antibiotic. BUT I have to have that infection cleared before I can get much needed hip replacement (I’m not old!!)! She gave me a script for doxycycline for 7 days. I am so scared to take it!! I’m hoping to kick this sinus infection without it but don’t think I can.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm

In my personal opinion I would give the sinus infection another couple of weeks. Sometimes I get them that last 6 weeks to a couple months. Flaring up and down at times.

In the meantime I would consider loading up on Florastor. Maybe at least two per day. Then if you DO decide to go on the doxycycline you can take as much as 4 per day along with your antibiotic. Hopefully you’ll kick the infection on your own so you can have that hip replaced! Have they said if you’ll need an antibiotic for the hip surgery?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:59 am

I had a hip replacement two years ago. A few doses of antibiotic are typically given, including one dose given via IV during the procedure. Apparently going without the antibiotic poses the risk of infection at the site of the hip implant, which would be a major complication requiring much more in the way of antibiotics than that taken preventatively. It was suggested by one of my doctors that I take Florastor a few weeks prior to and a few weeks after the surgery -- first one capsule per day and then building up to two. Taking four per day sounds excessive. Also, Florastor itself can cause GI symptoms. Whether due in part to the Florastor or to luck, or both, I didn't have any recurrence of C. diff in connection with the surgery.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AnnieKr
New User

Postby AnnieKr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 am

Wow thank you all for the response. You really think I should wait? My son (doctor) has scared me about these sinus infections getting really bad. Honestly been battling this already 3-4 weeks. I guess I could wait one more week but I feel so fatigued from it. Wish it was just isolated to my face! When you had a sinus infection for 4-6 weeks were you fatigued, and sometimes slight mild fever (up to 99, which for me is elevated)?

Also thank you for sharing that you had hip replacement. I really appreciate this. I will be given Kefkex right before IV and once during. I’m ok with it. Don’t want hip infection! My main worry is being allergic to it since I’m allergic to penicillin. But apparently 90% of those allergic to penicillin are allergic to Keflex.

Florastor for some weird reason breaks my skin out horribly. I have no idea why. I know I’m highly allergic to mold. Maybe I will try again.

Also how long before sinus infection/ hip replacement did you have cdiff? How long did you have cdiff? Did you have FMT for it?

I’ll keep you updated. Again, really appreciate all the comments.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes keep us updated I haven’t used antibiotic yet as hoping my will get better but part of me almost wants to have to take an antibiotic to get rid of it because this might sound silly but I’ve been dealing with PTS since I got Cdiff back in 2016 and I want to just face my fear and be able to take an antibiotic if I need one with no problems maybe it will make me feel normal again and finally put my fear to rest..

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Your right, that does sound ridiculous!
Antibiotics are not for minor illnesses or to be "needed" as cure all tablets.

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 am

Hi all, it has been a while posting for me but I wanted to chime in on this one as I too an facing the same potential fate. I have a sinus infection also and my dr wants to start me off with a steroid pack first along with what I have been doing, nedi pot and musinex to try to drain the sinus and reduce the swelling before going to an antibiotic. It has only been about three weeks but my fever comes and goes and it is very difficult to work. She knows my history and agrees that we should give everything else a try first. Augmentin for a sinus infection is what started me out with my c diff history just about two years ago now, and that was after a two month course of doxycycline for Lyme. Anyway, I would see if a steroid is an option for you and in all events check the list that was recently posted in cdi for better antibiotic choices and crank up the probiotics - I have increased my florastor to twice a day just in case and will increase my kefir if it looks inevitable that I will need the antibiotic. Looking at the list, I think my dr is between doxycycline and a z pak...trying to avoid though! I wish you all the best. Ben

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:05 am

IF you need an antibiotic- and there are other things you can try first (check CDI section on sinus infections, my ENT gave me some suggestions because of my c diff history) you can have a culture done so you get the correct antibiotic. You would also be surprised at how long the infection can stay viral despite thinking it turns bacterial quickly. That is the usual but not always the case. The dr can check with culture and/ or CAT scan because of c diff history.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”