Relapse or just body trying to removed toxins?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TonyNYC
Brand New Poster

Relapse or just body trying to removed toxins?

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 am

Hi everyone,

I have been dealing with cdiff for a few months and it has been a constant battle to understand and cope with it.

A few info about me:
- 38years old male
- No major gastrointestinal issues besides mild peptic ulcer and some hemorrhoids (internal)
- Follow a ketogenic diet
- Take Florastor and eat yogurt daily
- Vitamin D deficient

After finishing antibiotics it all started and after many test it was confirm that it was Cdiff. Doctor gave me Flagyl for 10 days and I complete the medicine.

4 days after finishing it I had a few episode of the same watery diarrhea, mucus and some blood so went to my GI on the same day and gave me Vaco for 10 days and also completed that with symptoms going away next day and quickly getting Norma bowel movement.

4 days later (again), the symptoms returned by mildly. BUt this time was a bit different since this time I was prescribed Dificid and it has taken a few days to arrive (has not received it yet) as I’m on my 4th day since I started with my symptoms on the 3rd time.

My questions to all that have had a relapse is, could this be normal as I have read that the body may experience symptoms of a relapse, but it can be just the body removing the rest of the toxins and trying to get rid of what ever still lingering but also very hard not to get worry and get on medicines right away.

This time I notice the following:

1st day - very creamy stools (2x) then 2 episodes of watery with mucus and some lines of blood (not the stain of the whole bowl as the first time). Also muscles aches and mild fever that lasted a few hours.
2nd day - nothing. Only gas.
3rd day - Watery with mucus and what could be blood lines inside the mucus but very hard to distinguish. This happened 5x
4th day - nothing so far and it is early morning

Hope anybody can share their experiences. I just want to see what others have experience as I don’t want to continue medications I don’t really need to as my doctor only wants to medicate me and also do a colonoscopy (I had one in July and all good).

Thank you

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or just body trying to removed toxins?

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 am

Hello Tony NYC and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. First, treating with Flagyl is no longer recommended, Vanco is generally where people start and that's due to cost. Unfortunately some GI's start there due to cost.

It's difficult to know if you actually relapsed after the Vanco, but it sounds like you are in the middle of Dificid. Honestly, I feel all patients should start with Dificid but it is expensive and most GI wont give unless Vanco has failed.

Relapses are common but it's important to know it's actually a relapse and generally( not everyone) the D will continue. In my case I did not have alot of D, just 3-4x/in the morning only. Some would say that is a"mild" case but I felt very sick. I relapsed 5 times over a year.

Finish the Dificid, there is great success with it and it finally cured me. Some people feel OK on it, other's don't. I was on a long taper dose after failing the 10 days, I did not feel well on it.
It takes time to recover, you don't mention diet but go very bland while treating and add foods slowly to give the gut time to heal. The symptoms should slow down while completing the Dificid. It sounds like you are seeing a GI? I highly recommend that to anyone who is relapsing.
As you complete the Dificid hopefully things will start to improve, but its a slow

NanciT

TonyNYC
Brand New Poster

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi NancyT,

Thank you for sharing.

I have not started the Dificid yet as it was special ordered and I should be getting it on Monday.

Seems this illness takes so long and while relapses can be actual ones recovery can be difficult cause minor “relapses” could be just the body healing and adapting. I even read it could cause IBS.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:16 pm

Most do get post IBS but that is generally once medication has been completed. It's difficult to say how anyone feels on the medication. I felt fine on Dificid for 10 days, but after that I felt it was very harsh to take when I went on a long taper. I think it works well to knock out CDIFF and many on the site have done great after 10 days.
If you read through the site, it takes time to recover. Some are faster than others, there are many unknowns as to why

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 am

True recovery starts when you come off meds and your gut flora starts to return to normal.
During that time you might get symptoms that are IBS, you might get no symptoms, or you might have a relapse.
No symptoms is ideal!
IBS can be confused with a relapse but usually treating your tender gut with easy to digest bland foods and using a heat pack relieves it.
We suggest the 3 day rule, if it lasts more than 3 days or gets worse fast it could be a relapse.
A relapse means that whatever you do it does not get better, foods make no difference because its c.diff causing it and treatment is needed.
Blood indicates you should see your Dr for advice, blood should not be ignored, might only be hems but the only way to know is for a Dr to take a look where the sun dont shine.
Better that than overtreating with powerful meds!
If symptoms are slowly resolving you could wait a while before starting dificid and let your natural immunity take over.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”