Husband surgery and Keflex

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Husband surgery and Keflex

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am

My husband is in surgery right now for a deviated septum and nasal polyps. I spoke to his surgeon and he will be given IV Ancef during surgery and Keflex after. He never had CDiff but I am still nervous because I had it. I bought him Florastor and Bio K Plus 50 Billion to take later today and for the next few weeks. Is it worth it to see if the doctor can give him something less risky? When I brought it up the surgeon did not seem too concerned but I am.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Husband surgery and Keflex

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't see why there would be concern if he has never had it. My husband and daughter both have been on antibiotics and were both living here with me during my year of CDIFF.
I myself had to go on Keflex months post CDIFF, I continued with just the one VSL#3 and did fine.

I think the fear can stick with us awhile but if it were my family I would not be concerned. You may not want to load him up on probiotics which can cause GI issues.
I hope his surgery and recovery goes well!

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Thank you, Nanci!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:18 pm

I agree with Nancy, theres little to worry about.
the only probiotic that has any studies that say it could possibly help is Florestor.
Overloading on probiotics can cause D.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”