Dairy free cheese and dairy free products?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
j834
New User

Dairy free cheese and dairy free products?

Postby j834 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Has anyone tried eating dairy free cheese or dairy free products like Daiya? Would that be irritating?

https://daiyafoods.com/our-foods/shreds/cheddar/

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dairy free cheese and dairy free products?

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 am

I think with everything while getting treatment, if your GI thinks it's OK give it a try. I actually ate small amounts of Cheese during CDIFF. The dairy did not bother me. Most will say stay away from it, but I ate so little at the time and did OK.

It's trial and error during treatment and recovery.

Wishing you the best

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:23 am

I do not eat dairy free cheese but i eat only matured cheeses like parmesan or cheddar and sometimes feta cheese but just a slice or two. The soft cheeses like cream cheese or cottage cheese are a problem to me . I also tried the lactose free milk and i was ok with a few drops of it in my tea , if i try more then a few drops it starts to bother me.

DebJS
New User

Postby DebJS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 am

I've stayed away from cheese because it sometimes upsets me at the best of times. I usually drink lactose-free milk, but have avoided that, as well. That said, I am drinking kefir three times a day as a way to introduce good bacteria back into my system. It also has a lot of protein, which is great when I am not eating much. Once the C Diff passes, I will probably go back (slowly) to my usual dairy.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am

Why risk anything new while your guts in a fragile condition?

j834
New User

Postby j834 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Good points everyone! I'm about 1 week post meds and will be taking it easy for a while. Thank you

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”