Almost done with round 1 of Flagyl and I'm scared...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
j834
New User

Almost done with round 1 of Flagyl and I'm scared...

Postby j834 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm

34 year old female who had a myomectomy (removal of 5cm fibroid). 8 weeks post operation I began with watery D and the stomach cramps before having to use the restroom. I did not take antibiotics after the surgery, but they were used during the surgery. Before that I had used a Z-pack 7 months prior coming down with these symptoms. After 4 days of watery D, I went to urgent care who tested me positive for c.diff strain A and B. I asked for Vancomycin, but both urgent care doctor and my primary doctor urged me to try Flagyl 500 3 times a day first because I am a “mostly healthy individual.” She said she’s had good patient success for c.diff with Flagyl. As a precaution, she gave me the prescription for Vanco in case I had not improved in 3 days. Luckily, I did improve and right now I have 2-3 BMs a day which is slightly more than my usual 1-2 BMs per day. BMs are not watery and can range from solid or slightly solid.

I am finishing up the Flagyl in the next two days and I am incredibly anxious, depressed, and worried about reoccurrence of symptoms. I’m using Bleach and the Clorox Germicidal Wipes to clean just about everything plus I am washing/drying my clothes in the Sanitary and AntiBacterial settings.

My probiotics include using the Garden of Life 30 Billion brand which includes L. acidophlious, L. plantarum, L. gasseri, L. paracasei, L. bulagarious, L. brevis, L. casei, L. rhamnous, and L. salivarious as a part of the 20 billion blend. It also includes B. lactis, B. bifidum, B. breve, B. infantis, and B. longum as a part of the 10 billion blend.

I also added Florastor 2 capsules once a day and make sure to include either kefir or sauerkraut into my diet at least once a day. I don’t do dairy, coffee, spicy food, alcohol, junk food and don’t do fast food.

Am I missing something that I have not done to make sure this c.diff does not return? The anxiety is just about crippling and I am in constant fear of having this return. I am a teacher and cannot always have restroom access multiple times a day. I have the Vanco prescription in my purse in case this returns. Current Flagyl side effects include heartburn, no appetite, lightheadedness, fatigue and irritability. I don’t want to have to take Vanco and continue these horrible side effects.

I keep telling myself “the odds are in your favor” yet its hard to focus on the positive right now. Any advice, suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Almost done with round 1 of Flagyl and I'm scared...

Postby NanciT » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello J834 and Welcome to the site, please read the first thread for all new poster

Sorry you have to find us, and also that you have been dealing with this...and on Flagyl! It is no longer a standard treatment for CDIFF, unfortunately some physicians are not current on that fact. We have it listed here on the site.
If you have pushed through it ( it made me so much sicker) and are improving you may very well just move forward towards recovery. It sounds like the D has stopped and that is great news. It also sounds like you are doing all that you can. Sometimes it just time that is needed to get through. As you finish the medication, go slow with the diet. Bland foods to give the gut a rest, take it slow.
We have alot on the site that do well after one round, hand in there

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

j834
New User

Postby j834 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm

NanciT,

I am do feel better after your reply. I am so very thankful for this website because it is scary reading some c. diff stories! Sometimes all we need is a place to have someone listen to our concerns and thoughts that can drive us crazy.

Thank you for the reminder about the diet. I am of Mexican descent and pinto beans are a staple part of my diet- have not touched beans since being diagnosed.

What about protein? I see a lot of people eating chicken on this site. Are eggs, turkey,

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Try and stick with a bland diet, toast,soup(no cream) chicken, turkey,rice,baked potatoes,Kefir,eggs,bread,crackers,just keep it bland. I LOVE lettuce and did not eat it for a year, I still have not had beef after trying twice and having trouble.
We have one poster who ate salads all the time........but that is unusual. It took me a long time, others get through this in a few months, its very individual.
Part of the issues is often the GI says....ok, you are fine now. But its NOT that quick often!!

Hang in there

NanciT

j834
New User

Postby j834 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Thank you very much NanciT. I really appreciate your kind words. It has now been 3 days post Flagyl and I am being kind and patient with myself.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 am

Hi j834. You are taking way too many probiotics! First of all, there is, so far, little research-based evidence that probiotics prevent C. diff. Second, though there's probably no harm in taking a probiotic or adding some fermented foods to your diet, be aware that probiotics themselves can cause GI issues. My suggestion is that you pick one and eliminate the others. Don't go overboard with the fermented foods either.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

j834
New User

Postby j834 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Really? I used to take 30 billion Garden of Life probiotics for a long time without a problem. And so far no problem as well. Its good advice though in case I do come up with any GI problems.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”