Probiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
pam2738
Regular Contributor

Probiotics

Postby pam2738 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello all,

Having finished a regimen of Cephalex about a week ago & for the last few days experiencing on & off watery stools, I have been taking Florajen 3 times daily. Also Florstor once a day at night. I also have Culturelle. I remember when I had Cdiff before for 8 months 12 years ago, I also took VSL3.

I just spoke to a pharmacist about this & she felt this was overload & that the Florajen alone would be sufficient. I want to get as many bacterial strains that I can as one 8 month episode of Cdiff 12 years ago was quite enough.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you,
Pam

roy
Administrator

Re: Probiotics

Postby roy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:30 pm

A recent study suggests an overload of probiotics might slow down the recovery of the normal gut flora.
It makes sense that if probiotics crowd out c.diff and stop it over growing then possibly they do the same to some types of good flora.
I think theres an awful lot that's not known about probiotics.
Florestor is the one that has had the most good reports.
I would take the pharmacists advice.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm

I think that high amounts of probiotics are not going to help more then two pills per day , it may actually bother your gut .It's best to stick to one brand and just take the recommended dosage.

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Thank you both!

Pam

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”