Recurrence after 12 years?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
pam2738
Regular Contributor

Recurrence after 12 years?

Postby pam2738 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Back in 2007-8, I had a nasty case of Cdiff that took me 8 months to recover from, thanks to this group & a good nutritionist. The doctors I saw then should have been good but they were not

Anyway since that time the only abx I have taken is a number of courses of Macrobid for my plague of urinary tract infections. But the last one was resistant to Macrobid & so my doctor prescribed Cephalen. I took probiotics through the course, which was about 2 weeks - Florajen, Culturelle, & Florsastor. Took my last Cephalen about 5 days ago & now I am having watery stools, fast heartrate.

I am terrified that this might be Cdiff again. I am now 80 & last year was diagnosed with COPD.

What category of offender is Cephalen? I had that list of bad & moderate antibiotics from this list for ages but I think it has fallen aapart.

I could use some aivce on this.

Be well all,

Pam

roy
Administrator

Re: Recurrence after 12 years?

Postby roy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Its one of the cephalosporins so probably a higher risk one.
The next thing to do is get tested.
C.diff is only responsible for 1 in 5 cases of antibiotic D so with average luck you will be negative.
Ask to be tested to make certain.

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:28 pm

I never would have takn it had I know it one of the Unsafe antibiotics! I took Florastor, Florajen, & Culturelle while I was taking it. This is the first time I have taken one of the Unsafe ones. My doctors should have known but I should have checked it too.

Doctor says to dissolve Florajen in warm wagter, let dissolve & drink. 3 x daily. Which I will do. But can I also take Culurelle & Florstor too or is there something better that I can get hold of fast?

Pam

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Pam

With a UTI they do a culture and sometimes there is no choice of antibiotics to take, I took Keflex 2 years ago for a UTI and did fine. Get tested and hopefully it will be negative.

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”