Just Diagnosed... Advice - worried

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hopenow
Regular User

Just Diagnosed... Advice - worried

Postby hopenow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 am

Hi All

I took Clindamycin for a tooth extraction 2 months ago, then last week developed severe diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Urgent Care yesterday took my bloods and stool and today have said I have tested positive for C Diff.

I have been on PPIs for 4 years (lansoprazole). I am 30.

I have been prescribed Vanco which I can get in a couple days when the pharmacy get some in.

Today my Diarrhea and cramps seem to have gone away, but I also have not been able to go to the toilet.

I am somebody who gets really anxious, and hope someone can give some advice? I have been reading online and this whole thing sounds really scary to me to be honest, for a week before my diagnosis I was getting anxious, twitchy and unable to sleep, I had no idea why as I thought it was just a stomach bug, however now I am 10x worse.

Just wondering what to expect from here.

Thanks

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just Diagnosed... Advice - worried

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 am

Hi hopenow and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

I am sorry that you had to find us. I, too, came down with c difficile about 2 months after taking an antibiotic. It is not that unusual. Clindamycin, unfortunately, is one of the highest offenders.

Vancomycin should alleviate your symptoms within a few days. However, if your D stops before you get the medication, check with the doctor if treatment is still needed. Your body may be able to fight on its own. Meanwhile, while you are waiting for the meds, you can try and take some probiotics. Many do well with Florastor, which is a yeast based probiotic. Others take bacteria based ones, like those found in yogurt. Drugstores carry many varieties. I take VSL#3, but there is Align, Culturelle, etc.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:26 am

I think the statistics say that 20% of cases of confirmed c.diff will resolve without medical treatment.
Probably a LOT more resolve before diagnosis.
My personal opinion would be that treating if symptoms clear might make it worse.
Treatment is aimed at reducing the bacteria so that the body can deal with the infection but if symptoms resolve without treatment it indicates you have already overcome it.
If you tested again it's highly likely to be positive.
C.diff is a normal gut bacteria that does not need eradicating unless it causes disease.
If theres no symptoms (normaly D) theres no disease.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Again

A little update.

Last night, around an hour after falling asleep the awful burning in my abdomen returned and woke me up, I had to go the toilet. The BM however was not Diarrhea, it was nearly normal. Same again this morning, awful burning, but almost normal bm.

I do seem to have developed nausea, but I am wondering if that is a combination of worry and reading everybody elses symptoms, what do you think?

It really has me worried..

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Not sure what to say about the nausea, which can be a symptom of so many things. Hopefully, it will subside soon; if it doesn't, you should discuss with your doctor. LIke you, I got C. diff after a course of clindamycin. Please consider filling out an Adverse Event form on the FDA website with regard to your experience with clindamycin; you can access the site using the link at the bottom of my post.

Also like you, I was on PPIs long-term -- in my case, for almost 15 years. After having been diagnosed with C. diff, osteoporosis, and very low vitamin B2, all of which have shown some association with PPIs, I did a slow "taper" to get off of PPIs -- it took several weeks, and it had been preceded, in the year or two before, by several unsuccessful attempts. They are hard drugs to stop because, for awhile, heartburn symptoms will be worse while withdrawing due to the "rebound" phenomenon. I now have only infrequent, transient heartburn, which usually resolves on its own, but when it doesn't, I take a Zantac. I don't know the reason you've been on PPIs, but it's worth a conversation with your doctor to see if stopping them using a "taper" method would make sense. If you have a more severe GI condition that would seem to require PPIs, you'll be in the unenviable position of having to decide if their purported benefits are worth their risks. The jury still seems to be out on these drugs, though accumulating evidence points to their long-term use as potentially being harmful.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Thank you for your response. I am actually due to discuss the PPI use with my doctor in the next few months but having stopped in the past I had an acid river overnight making me gag and choke which made me get back on them.

With regards the C Diff, is the general consensus to start the Vanco? Today I had two middle of the road BMs first thing in the morning, some gurgling and a little cramping and I am not v hungry but no big Diarrheas like before.

I am debating seeing how things go or starting Vanco first thing tomorrow. What would you guys advise I do? I am so confused.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:03 am

I personally would try taking probiotics first and see if you recover without the vanco, but I speak from my own experience. I had mild symptoms and was put on vanco and it made me worse, like Roy said. I had one relapse after another after that and regret treating. You will have to see how your symptoms are. If they are improving, I would wait. If not, then tell your doctor exactly what the symptoms are now and ask his or her advice.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I too have that awful burning pain in my abdomen just before i go to the loo but unlike you my stool is not normal is actually kinda' loose and even though it makes me anxious i keep reminding that it's just IBS and not Cdiff, had two negative GDH tests so it seems that Cdiff has been cleared. IBS can be pretty hard to deal with , especially after several courses of Vanco. Like Beth said , the more vanco i have taken , i had more intolerances to food and more severe IBS after the course was finished.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I had two doctors today both tell me to take the Vanco, despite me telling them my symptoms seemed to be receding.

I will have to make a decision this weekend, but I am really torn to be honest because you guys have real experience of the issues.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I had two doctors today both tell me to take the Vanco, despite me telling them my symptoms seemed to be receding.

I will have to make a decision this weekend, but I am really torn to be honest because you guys have real experience of the issues.

hopenow
Regular User

Postby hopenow » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:18 am

Quick update.

Since yesterday the awful burning pain in my lower abdomen has returned, and my BMs are bad again.

I think I better start the Vanco today.. Wish me luck :(

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”