Hopeful

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jrditusa
New User

Hopeful

Postby Jrditusa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm

So I have been battling cdiff since feb of this year..and I learned the hard way about over treating. I was first given Vanco for 14 days and made it to 40 days..but I had gotten a positive test, so without major symptoms I went back on vanco for a 6 week taper...I felt it came back when I started vanco then eventually got better but after 6 days off the vanco I had a relapse, and this time there was no question....major symptoms. Finally went on dificid taper and I am now 31 days post meds. I will not test this time unless relentless symptoms...the positive test messed with me and made me anxious and questioned my recovery. I have been reading posts for a while and all of you are amazing with your support and advice. I thought maybe this post could help someone else who is wondering about what over treating looks like. I am hopeful now..even though still anxious about relapse and still eating very bland, still having loose stools...but overall think and hope I’m on the mend...fingers crossed.

roy
Administrator

Re: Hopeful

Postby roy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks for the update, it's very useful.
I have been here for 11 years and read of many people who regret over treating.
Something that has became very clear to me is that people that panic at mild symptoms after initial treatment and go on to test get a lot of positives.
Drs are supposed to know that treatment is not advised unless theres frequent D but they still put the patient on another round of meds thinking that is the "best" way to eliminate c.diff.
What they dont realise is that each round of meds doubles the chances of another relapse.
Meds do not cure c.diff, they knock back the overgrowth so the natural immune system can cope with it.
Sometimes that means the body totaly eradicates the infection, sometimes full on symptoms return (a true relapse) and sometimes it means the body learns to live with being colonized and ignores the infection.
The latter might even be the better of the two situations that are considered "cured" as its the same as being vaccinated!
People in that group will always test positive!
The cure starts the day you finish the meds and your body regains control of it's own gut flora.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Thank you Roy ....you seem to be the voice of reason and that is exactly what happened to me... the worst part is the dr said it could go either way and left it up to me....which when you are already in a state of panic, stinks. So I was left with the choice and the positive result sitting on me. I think I would have been fine months ago if I had not treated that second time. Thank goodness for this site and my knowing about dificid..as my dr was ready to go right to fmt...which if I need, so be it, but I don’t really want one. So on to day 33 post dificid and continue to cross my fingers and taking questran to help...so far so good.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Don't feel bad. Hindsight is always 20/20. I should never have treated the first time as my symptoms were mild. GI told me I could lose my colon if I didn't. Instead I got on a roller coaster ride of one relapse after another. I switched GIs and he agreed with me. You can only go forward. Wishing you well.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Thank you...trying...now at day 33.. still loose stool only 2-3 times a day...hoping this is recovery

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”