Am i relapsing?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Princepg
New User

Am i relapsing?

Postby Princepg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 am

Hello everyone,
This website has helped me so much through my journey i want to thank u all so much. I am a 29 year old female and had been on rocephin iv for a month because of an ear infection which lead to an infection in my mastoid bone. Anyway not to bore u all the doctor gave me flagyl with the rocephin because i was having diarreah but tested negative for c diff. Anyway 6 days after i finished the rocephin i had horrible diarreah nausea fever ... did a stool test and turns out i have c diff. The doctor started me out with flagyl again but i couldnt tolerate it so was put on vanco 125mg 4* for 14 days. Felt much better and everything was great until 6 days after vanco (yesterday) i started having abdominal cramps all day and went to the toilet 7 times but no D. Today 4 times but looser .. and the abdominal cramps are mild and they dont go away. Do u think i am relapsing? The doctor wants to wait until wednesday morning to test if i wasnt better.. thank u all in advance for the support and i pray for u everyday .

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Re: Am i relapsing?

Postby Tonja13 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am

Prince,
Have you been taking any probiotics? I recommend you get some good ones from a health food store (refrigerated) and some Florastor. It's very common to have IBS-like symptoms after CDI and after taking vanco. They really do a number on the lining and bacteria...it may not be a relapse. Hang in there!

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am

Im taking floraster only. The probiotics my doctor recomended i dont take if i can drink 5 cups of yogurt a day which i am maybe eating more.. thank u so much tonja!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

That's a LOT of yogurt!
Even a healthy gut would object to that much.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 pm

U think thats y?! But i have been eating that much with vanco and after nothing happened until now.. ur the expert roy u think its the yogurt?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:14 pm

I am far from an expert but you can over do probiotics.
Then theres the possibility that your guts not happy with that much dairy.
While you were on vanco most of the active bacteria in the yogurt would have been killed by it.
Now your off vanco the zillions of bacteria in a cup of yogurt will populate your gut.
Too much though and your gut sees it as an invader that needs expelling (D).
"More" is not always better.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Thank u so much roy. Ur posts on this forum have helped me so much throughout everything. Wish u all the best always.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:28 pm

I used to be able to eat yogurt too, but after being on vanco, that stopped. When I stopped the yogurt, my symptoms improved.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 am

Thank u beth. The doctor wants to test wednesday morning if im not feeling better. That would be 9 days after vanco what do u think? Stools are down to 3 but lots of cramping and they r not normal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 am

Before my relapses, I had symptoms, but I never got a positive until about two weeks after finishing vanco. Those were older tests though. The newer ones may pick up if you are positive. Having said that, even if you are positive, it may not indicate an active infection, but that you still have some low grade c diff left that your body is fighting. If you do test positive, talk to your doctor about whether you should treat with meds or wait.

Princepg
New User

Postby Princepg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks a lot beth. I feel slightly better concerning the cramps. Seems roy was right i was overdoing it with the yogurt. Praying its not a relapse..

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”