C diffid,

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
roy
Administrator

Re: C diffid,

Postby roy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Sounds like its improved if your down to 3 and it's only mornings.
During recovery posters often report that the first couple of hours each day are the worst.
Probably because their gut does not like being empty overnight.
How many more days of vanco are left?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm

We normaly lock threads at 3 pages but if the other mods agree I will let this one run on for a while.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:10 am

Roy, I agree that we should let this thread run and let Hawkeye keep us updated so we can give him what support we can under the circumstances.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks folks.....I have 7 days of vanco left, at 3 a day....took a chance yesterday and
only took one vanco, and none yet today...call it a personal research lol...LOL...
Had two trips this morning....just want to see if stopping the vanco will improve
things, if not will finish out the pills....let u know what happens.....don

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:28 pm

PLEASE take the vanco as directed!
Its VERY IMPORTANT to maintain the therapeutic level of the drug in your gut.
Messing about with the amount taken each day is what causes possible antibiotic resistance!
Vanco only kills c.diff if it's taken at the correct dosage.
You dont want the strongest bugs to survive and breed!
Even when Drs prescribe a tapering regime a full 14 days at full dose/frequency is taken first.
Even if symptoms resolve you should NOT stop or cut down on vanco unless it's under medical supervision.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm

welp, okay Roy, I'll start taking it again...was just wanting to see if any difference
in the "d" issue...thanks....don

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Gang, Happy Fall, I guess....I'm still sick as hell "down" there and I was wondering
what is recommended for food with this issue? I hate like hell to cook anymore and
so order pizza or wings or chinese, or just flip a hamburger in the skillet...so i 'spose
you'll tell me that don't cut it.....but I'm just at a loss at what to eat or do, maybe just
not eat for a week, maybe it will get better???? Sorry if this don't belong here just
delete it....thanks....don

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Well, my primary informed me today he won't renew the vanco script...go to GI on
10th november, and he wants them to know how it is off of the antibiotic!?!?!?
does this seem right to anyone??

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

If c.diff is the only cause of your symptoms it would usually resolve within 5 to 7 days af starting vanco.
That's not the end of the cure though!
You finish the prescribed course of vanco and hopefully it got all of the active c.diff but almost certainly theres going to be some tough spores that meds cant kill still lurking in your gut.
They are crafty intelligent little buggers and detect that the attack from vanco has stopped so it's safe for them to "hatch" and multiply.
It's a race now between your "good" flora and the bad bugs to take up the space left by the meds.
If the good guys win they kick out the c.diff and your cured.
If c.diff wins it comes back.
The real cure takes place in the weeks after you stop meds so unless your still having lots of D your Drs correct.

If you are having lots of D or it returns before you see the GI and your Dr wont treat then my very experianced advice would be to go to hospital.
Drs stopped my mothers treatment and their exact words were "to see what happens", but they did not respond to her quickly worsening symptoms and she died 10 days later.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:41 pm

welp, okay then Roy, guess I'll go with the flow and we will see what takes place..nuthing much I can do about it anyway....don

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 pm

If it gets bad though you MUST go to ER.
Dont try to tough it out.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:40 pm

((((shhhh))))) don't say this out loud but I had an "almost normal" BM today~~~~~!!!!!!
Been off vanco since last monday, had the "D" up until yesterday, had only partial
D, then today , then a nice little 3 inch solid DROPPER!!!! I am almost afraid
to share this !!!!! We will see what happens, still got 8 days to see the G.I. doctor.....
thanks.......don

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:46 pm

well had a two day reprieve, but its "BACK"!!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Sorry to read that Don.

If it's the same tomorrow (or gets worse today) you MUST go to ER.
Your Dr is not listening to you so get some help.
Waiting in not an option.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Welp I finally got to see the "gut" doctor thursday, or should I say the doc's P.A.
nurse...went thru the timeline of all my problems, and the upshot for now is I
have to provide another "sample" for tests by the lab.....She seems to think the
c.diff. is over, I don't however.....so for now I'm to take probiotics and wait
for lab results....funny tho I've been constipated for two days!!!! Speaking of
probiotics , she wants me to take Saccharomyces probiotic, which I've been taking
but after reading some of her brochure I have the feeling my brand is not adequate.
I have "now" saccharomyces Boulardii.....can anyone suggest one that is "live"
and has been tested to be a good one?? thanks don....

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”