C diffid,

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hawkeye
Regular User

C diffid,

Postby hawkeye » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm

positve from doc's lab about 6 weeks ago, howdy all....I am an old newbie, 79 yo,
and have suffered the disease for my guess is 8 months, but my family doc didnt
test for diff until early august...I've been on flagyl one 10 day round, (which I now
understand is not any longer recomenned, am now on the next one vancomycin(?)....
still have a 3 week supply of that med (second round of vanco)....guess my only
question is how long do people live on average with the disease after first
diagnosis? Do not have confidence in doct's here, am supposed to go to
'gut' doctor on 10 october...strange thing is that I basicaly feel good except for
the damn diff symptoms of tiredness, low energy and so on....thanks for reading....
don

guess I should add that in mid july I had my first episode of diverticulitis, was
treat for 10 days on an antibiotic then, and then in august tested for c. diff which
had been ongoing already....thanks....

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diffid,

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Hello Don and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like the Vanco is working for you. I would make sure to keep that about with the GI ( gut dr ) even if you are feeling good. I say that because it's always good to have one if you have a history of Diverticulitis and CDIFF.
As far as the exhaustion, it can take time to recover. Go slow with the diet while the gut is healing

Take Care

NanciT

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks NanciT...glad to be here, hope i can learn as well as contribute...actually
I'm not doing that well on the Vanco, as this is about 3rd round of anti's and each
day I seem to make more trips to bathroom, but guess I'll just hang in for a while
and see if it gets better I guess...my family doc is not very agressive so guess I'll
have to be for myself....if not better at the end of this vanco round i'm gonna
check into the FMT business with capsule....thanks again....don

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Don,

There's a third drug, Dificid, that has shown better benefit in resolving C. diff than either Vanco or Flaygl. I suggest you check into that before exploring the FMT route.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm

From your first post it sounded like you are doing well on Vanco. If it has not helped symptoms and D continues, please call the GI office now and ask to have your appt moved up. Another option is to call your current doctor to see if he can help you with that.

If D continues several time/day it can cause dehydration etc, you mentioned you were 79. Please let the GI office know that, your symptoms need to improve and if the Vanco is not working, Dificid should be tried.

Make sure to drink plenty of fluids, "smart water" is a good idea because it has electrolytes.

NanciT

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks AllisS, and NanciT...I'm doing what I can on this stuff, I am almost an
official "Hermit" due to inability to leave the house because of c diff....my family
doc is not very helpful so going to try to work with the new app't with gut doctor....
cannot get earlier app't tho...and that difcid is way too costly for my budget...but
what the heck, I've lived a decent life.....take care folks...catch u later...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Please don't rule out DIficid. Look under CDI we have a link to a Dificid assistance program many posters have used.

The other option to talk with your GI about is the FMT

NanciT

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 pm

I hope I don't jinx myself, but wanted to share that this is the SECOND day in a row
that I have not suffered from the big "D" !!!! AMAZING, thanks be to who/whatever!!
don

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Glad to hear you’ve had a good couple days! Maybe the worse is behind you

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:43 am

Well my bubble bursted!!! I had 3 days of relief, today back to my "normal" b.m.
Sure hope I can get back to a real normal.....don

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

It's not unusual to have good days and bad days. As long as there is improvement, that is a good sign. Hope you feel better.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am

If your symptoms (D) have returned while your on a full dose of vanco you must go back to your Dr.
Possibly the diverticulitis is the main problem and coincidently you tested positive for c.diff.
Or you might need a higher dose of vanco.
Either way it's important to get on top of it.
If c.diff was going to kill you it would have done it by now.
If I am wrong and you do die please post to let us know.

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 pm

""If I am wrong and you do die please post to let us know."" My lawyer will contact
you !!!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Glad your sense of humors still healthy;-)

hawkeye
Regular User

Postby hawkeye » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 am

Welp looks like I'm back on full bore c. diff., thought I was gettin a break,
but no joy, have made 5 trips to throne so far this morning...doc gave me
anti-diareha pill called lomotil but it does no good whatsoever....I'm starting
the 2nd step down of the vanco today, 1pill twice a day....not much confidence
in this.....ah well hope all you are having a better day than I !!!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”