Diarrhea while on Vanco

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LostinNY
Brand New Poster

Diarrhea while on Vanco

Postby LostinNY » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:54 pm

I am not new to cdiff. I had it 4 years ago and after a long vanco taper i recovered. This spring I developed a tooth abscess and had 10 days of augmentin. THen in July I developed diverticulitis and had 10 days of augmentin again. I developed loose stools was tested about a month ago and had cdiff again. I am broken hearted. I took vanco 125 4 times a day and responded immediately. Started a one month taper and last week while still on vanco I developed severe loose stools up to 8 times a day. I had this for over a week and was tested for all kinds of other things which all came back negative. I was also tested for cdiff which came back negative. ( I am taking the vanco) I cannot stop going to the bathroom or eat anything. I do not think the vanco is working. Why would i have such horrible diarrhea now 2 weeks in. My doctors say I dont have cdiff because my stool tested negative. If I tested negative does that mean this dose of vanco is working? I have asked for stronger vanco and dificid to help fight my loose stools. My doctors say this is working because its negative. I do not believe them. I need help . I am exhausted and lost a huge amt of weight. Should I beg for dificid? I have been asking for a FMT too. I was told My test while on vanco was negative so I am responding to the vanco . I am so disgusted this is back again. Took me almost a year to get rid of it . For 2 years I had nothing but normal intestines and stools. My doctors seem very confused and not helpful. I need some advice.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Diarrhea while on Vanco

Postby NanciT » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello LostinNY and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I am sorry you are going through this, especially to have had CDIFF 4 years ago and have it return. Is this a GI you are seeing?? If it is, please get another opinion. I had a very hard time getting rid of CDIFF and had to change GI's actually several times. A second opinion is needed if the D and weight loss continues. Testing for CDIFF while you are on Vanco? I would think if you are on medication...it would be negative.

If you cannot find another GI, then find an ID to help. Please make sure you do not get dehydrated and if you start to feel terrible head to the ER

Wishing you the best

NanciT

LostinNY
Brand New Poster

Postby LostinNY » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you . I am goIng to have to find someone else all the gi doctors I see seem not to understand or care. My body is not responding to the vanco sadly this time and I hope to find someone with some new idea . It is very hard to keep hydrated and I am drinking 64 oz of Gatorade each day. It has been just a month since I got this again so I guess I need more patient . I have been not been able to work either . I was hoping my stools would respond like it did the other time in a few days . This site is great for info and support . Thank you for welcoming me. I am concerned I am antibiotic resistant to the vanco after so many years of having used it and turning septic

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 am

There have been a few posters who had to increase their vanco dosage to 250mg, but not many. It is possible that the dose is not high enough. Did you ask your doctor if that might be the case? Usually the lower dose works just as well, but sometimes it doesn't.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I would trust the test, it looks for the toxins not the actual bug but its the toxins that cause the symptoms.
You mentioned you have/had diverticulitis recently.
Why is your Dr not considering the ongoing symptoms might be related to that?
Testing positive for c.diff does not automatically mean they should stop looking for other causes.
The first positive c.diff test could just be coincidental and not what's causing your symptoms.

LostinNY
Brand New Poster

Postby LostinNY » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 pm

I have had a full work up . Stool cultures , blood , cat scan all came back normal . My doctor feels this is more of s irratble bowel type problem and has ordered something called enteragam be sent to me . Thanks for all your reply’s I am still on the vanco and pooping every time I eat . Loose stools . But it is down to 3 or 4 a day . Hope this passes soon I am used to being constipated .

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”