TEST RESULTS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

TEST RESULTS

Postby lila30 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey all, its been a couple weeks since I last posted. So I was constipated for awhile. I went 13 days without having a BM. I finally had a BM and I was going regularly. The past week and a half I've been feeling nauteous to almost throwing up. I just thought i was feeling that way because of my monthly girly time. Because I read on here that women's stomach tend to get nauteous during their time. I've also been eating a lot of fiber, so I thought to myself mabe I'm making myself sick. Well I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago before I was having symptoms and he wanted to retest me because I was having slight discomfort in my stomach. He did a pcr with eia and he just told me over the phone that test came back positive. He said he will go into detail with me tomorrow for my doctors appointment. So I'll update yall with that. But I feel normal besides the nausea and almost wanting to throw up and some discomfort in my abdominal. I can go out and hang out with friends. I don't drink though. I haven't had alcohol since i got sick in may. This week will be 10 weeks since treatment. Any no diarrhea, I have formed stools. I had blood in my stool 2 weeks ago but haven't had any since. I thought maybe it was from when I was constipated, trying so hard to go. Any suggestions on what to ask or talk to my doctor about tomorrow when I go? I just started to add new foods to my diet and ive been good, I get a little nauseated but then it goes away.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: TEST RESULTS

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Ask the doctor if only the PCR is positive with a negative EIA. If that is the case, that is not considered an active infection.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Beth- thank you, I'll ask. But the last time I saw him, when he ordered these test, I asked him if I don't have diarrhea and the test comes out positive, well he treat. And he said yes depending on other symptoms. So we'll see what the doctor says tomorrow.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Beth- if it's like you say, eia negative, I wonder what would explain the almost vomiting and nauteous feeling all the time. =(

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm

I’m so sorry you had a positive test result. Hopefully others will chime in, but if your EIA came back negative, I believe it just means you are currently (and possibly from here on out) a carrier. I don’t think it’s recommended to treat under this circumstance. Especially if you’re feeling well enough to hang out with friends. Also, if there’s no great urgency to go to the bathroom (d or no d) that’s also a good sign.

It would only be speculation for me to guess why you are nauseated, but one possibility could be that the acid in your stomach is off balance ( most likely low) from the antibiotics that you’ve been on. I have read others stating how it can take a long time for your gut to rebalance.

I would like to know what others on here think about treatment if you test positive on both PCR and EIA, but do not have extreme symptoms. This may very well be your situation. I would personally hold off on treatment if I had a negative EIA and I was feeling pretty good with no D. If the doctor wants to treat you could always have the medicine on hand in case things got worse. Wishing you the best!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Ajs
It's fairly common to test positive by PCR and EIA but still not need treating.
If theres no host response to the infection it's not a disease.
That's the reason the guidlines say dont test formed stool.
Natural immunity stops c.diff in its tracks.
When a vaccine is produced it will not prevent c.diff infection, it will stop the body's reaction/response that causes the disease.
Tetanus vaccine works exactly the same.
You still get infected and would test positive but dont get sick.
You might recognize the full name of tetanus, Clostridium tetani!
It's the same family as c.diff.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Very interesting on the vaccine! I sure hope and pray it becomes a reality in the near future. Thanks for the info

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am

Thank you Roy and AJS, I'm still feeling nauseated. So that's why I'm like should I just treat since I feel nauseated. But then I don't have diarrhea and I don't want to over treat. I'll find out more from the doctor today. Thank you guys!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Many of us were terribly nauseous throughout recovery. Be careful not to blame it on c diff infection. I couldn’t believe I felt so sick and was in recovery but I was. Eventually it got better but took quite a while. Some people used sea bands, I used old fashioned coke syrup (no scientific basis), ate bland with small portions.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Just got out of the doctors office. Pcr was positive but toxins a and b were negative. So doctor didn't want to treat. I told him I'm only feeling nauseated and sometimes almost throwing up. But I think because I was so constipated, the food couldn't stay down. No mucus in my stool, no blood, and my stool is formed. So I guess no active infection?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Yay!! That’s great news!

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Thank you jess! So that means no active infection?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 pm

That's right - no active infection. That's the same I have. Some people feel nauseated when they are C. I do sometimes too. I know my mom used to have a problem with C and she was always nauseated when that happened.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 pm

I’m sure others with more experience will chime in, but yes I’m pretty sure that means it’s not active!

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Beth- do you know why the pcr is positive? I forgot to ask my doctor. And since you have the same maybe you would know. I wonder why that would show up positive. And yeah I noticed that when I'm C, I'm nauseated and it lasts awhile. I almost threw up my dinner the other night but once I used the restroom the nausea started going away.

Jess- how have you been doing some your FMT?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”