pain, mucus, and blood.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
megan135
New User

pain, mucus, and blood.

Postby megan135 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 am

So i haven't posted in a while...a little over a year. Supposedly done with c diff, even so far as to get re-tested(and it was negative).

But, within the last 2 months, i started having terribly, painful, hold on to something, pray for jesus, BM's. I have an appointment for a colonoscopy on 9/21/2018. My doctor told me to get one after the c diff, and i should've. But, honestly, I was not treated well by my doctor after getting c diff(she didn't believe i had it), and i was kind of scared away from anything medical, and doctors(excuses, i know, but I was terrified of getting sick again or being around doctors). Two weeks ago, i went to the bathroom straight from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. I started to just have BM's of blood and mucus. No stool, just blood and mucus. My intestines hurt constantly now, every BM kills me. I'm terrified to go to the bathroom, and have been eating next to nothing. But...that food has to go somewhere. And then the cycle starts again. I'm at my wit's end mental health wise. I just wanted to be done with c diff, and i thought i was. But it still has it's grubby little claws in me, making my life miserable. I was tested within the last two weeks, and it came back negative. But i've never had issues with my intestines like this UNTIL after i had c diff. I can't keep going on like this. The pain is driving me crazy, and my doctor seems non fussed by it and just keeps saying 'wait until after your colonoscopy'...i'm going mad.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: pain, mucus, and blood.

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:20 am

We had a few posters who got IBD after C difficile. One that I know of got ulcerative colitis and another Crohn's. It is possible that you might have something else going on and the colonoscopy would be the right thing to do. I would ask your doctor to give you something to make you more comfortable until the colonoscopy, as it is over two weeks away. If you feel you might still have c difficile, ask for another test.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:03 am

If you suspect IBD , there is the calprotectin stool test that you can talk to your doctor about.

megan135
New User

Postby megan135 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm

IBD and Ulcerative colitis actually run in my family. My mom has UC, my father has IDB.

Is it common to get those diseases after having c diff?

I don't think i have C diff anymore...I kept explaining it to my fiance...when you have c diff, you KNOW. You literally feel like your dying, is what i tell him.

I don't feel so sick as having c diff, but i've never had pain like this with BM's before. I think the course i should deff. go down is just getting the colonoscopy. And i know it sounds so trivial, but i'm 24, and have never had anything serious happen to me before. This colonoscopy would be one of the first big procedures i'd do...and i'm really apprehensive of what they'll find, or if it'll hurt, ect. My mom scared the pants out of me as a kid saying how awful they always were.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 pm

I just had a colonoscopy two weeks ago. For me, it wasn’t bad at all. The prep wasn’t even that bad to me. I slept through the whole procedure, and when I woke up I felt very relaxed. Your colonoscopy is a good thing!! It will hopefully bring light to whatever is causing your symptoms. Maybe it’s nothing, or maybe it’s nothing big, but no matter what it’s better to know! In the meantime you’ll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

So glad you tested negative for cdiff!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I am not a fan of the colonoscopy prep but the procedure itself is absolutely nothing. You sleep through the whole thing, fall asleep before you know it and wake up easily.
As far as your dr goes, I tell everyone...you are the customer. If you don’t like the way you are treated find another dr. As long as you find a dr knowledgeable in c diff and/or diseases of the intestines, you should be fine. Have an appointment lined up for the future.

And yes, not many but some, do develop IBDs after c diff. So it is better to be checked but don’t think the worst just yet.

Good luck,
Rita

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 pm

How did your colonoscopy go? Were they able to draw any conclusions about your symptoms? Hope you are doing better.

megan135
New User

Postby megan135 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry I dropped off of the face of the planet. I was so distraught when, after taking my meds, and being 'cleared', I was now In pain and bleeding, ect. I did go and got diagnosed with ibs and hemroids. The doctor I went to didn't even give me anything for the pain I was having, just told me I was fine and to stop straining when I go to the bathroom. I then called up my gastro that I went to when I was 18 and got diagnosed with gerd. I went in, and she was appalled. 'He didnt even give you anything for pain?' No, I said, he didnt. She prescribed me bentyl, an antisposmodic. It does help a lot. I stopped posting because I hoped that would be it; the story; the end. But I am still in pain with the ibs, I get nauseous, I'm constantly exhausted, like my energy didnt return after c diff. I feel like I'm starting every day on 40% battery life. And now I'm having pain that is getting worse again and getting diarrhea about an hour after everytime I eat. I've started having panic attacks after getting c diff, worried about getting sick and I'll need antibiotics. Please someone tell me their stories and that they've been through the mental health part of this. I cant go out regularly and anxiety and depression feel like they rule my life. I keep thinking I'm just going to start to get better in some way; but it just keeps rolling out new ways that it effects me. Please share your story so I can find some solice that someone understands what I'm going through.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi

some of this takes time, the fear is something most live with and in time...it gets a bit easier. I had CDIFF 2014-2015 for a year and I still fear antibiotics but try to be more realistic . When I get sick...I do worry.

The post IBS can and should get better again it's time. My diet is still bland, if I go off it...I have issues and I am still not able to eat beef or have any alcohol. I was never much of a drinker but I did love a glass of wine. Now, I can take a few sips.

This is just me, others have moved on and are doing great. I was on medication for so long I believe it caused issues with my gut. Medications like Diflucan never bothered me, now I feel sick when taking them.
I was also left with GERD and a hernia I did not have before.

If you find the fear is taking over, get some help with it, many on the site do. It sounds like having the medication has helped which is great. I take Levsin and it works well and have not had to take it in months.

Give yourself time, it does help!!

NanciT

Rusty S
Regular User

Postby Rusty S » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm

The anxiety C Diff leaves in its wake is incredible. If I get nausiated/crampy at all, it ruins the mood no matter what I'm doing. Recovery seems to be a slow, methodical game of patience, unfortunately. But, we're all here because we deal with it, too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Well said, Nancy T and Rusty S. We are anxious - with good reason - but it gets better as we get better.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”