trying to heal from c diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Teddynz
New User

trying to heal from c diff

Postby Teddynz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 am

Hi all, I'm a 28 year old male.

Id like to share my story and hopefully ill get some good insight into my situation. :)

Roughly two months ago i was in India for a holiday and i got sick somehow (possible food poisoning or something similar) and basically i felt weak with a little bit of nausea and some diarrhea and mucus. The doctor checked me and noticed i had a painful colon with some inflammation. He put me on some antibiotics and another antibiotic called Norflox and i was on that in the hospital for a few days and then on tablets for about a week after. I started to feel better and it seemed to go away as far as i could tell. After that I went to Egypt for 11 days and everything seemed normal, although i had a bit of acid when i drank alcohol. Which at the time i didn't think too much of although it was strange as it's something i don't normally have. I got back home to Malta and it was normal for a few days, then i got a bit of diarrhea and the pain started to come in again. I had really big pains on my left side and even a bit on the right as well. My diarrhea went away, but the pain was there and i also had a bit of blood in the stool etc.

So i went to the hospital, because the pain was too much and i was put on the hospital ward. They did blood and stool tests and it came back as c diff positive. I was kept in for two weeks and i was on Flagyl for about 15 days. The pain seemed to ease and my stool started to at least be more normal-ish. Now i've been out of hospital for 10 days and been off the antibiotics for about 7-8 days, but i still have quite a lot of tenderness in my abdomen, mainly on the lower left and right sides and sometimes even up in my rib cage on the left side underneath my armpit. It can be quite uncomfortable at times and feels like pinching hot pain and basically as if its inflamed or something. It seems to change when I eat perhaps, but generally it's always a bit sore 24/7, not quite as bad as it was but still there. My stools are generally okay, but still not very normal (bit soft and undigested occasionally and the water can be cloudy in the toilet etc).

So i guess my main question is, does this sound normal for c diff? Apparently i'm healed, but i'm still getting a bit of pain constantly and my stomach is in a bit of distress, no diarrhea but the stool is soft and undigested sometimes, it makes the toilet water cloudy. once or twice it has just been mucus also. i have pain generally on my left and right flanks and my lower abdomen, also it's tender under my ribs etc. I'm taking probiotics (s boulardi and a couple others) and trying to eat as healthy as i can, mainly bananas, toast, eggs, vegetables etc. As if i eat anything harder i get a bit more pain. I haven't had alcohol or a cigarette for over 3 weeks, but i'm just concerned that maybe it's not normal or it won't go away.

Any help or info would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance,

Teddy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: trying to heal from c diff

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 am

Hello Teddy and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I do hope you are following up with a GI post your hospital stay. It sounds like you are in the healing process with near normal BM's but pain continues. Due to your extensive travel recently, I would sit down with your GI and make sure everything else can be ruled out. Did they tests for all parasites while in the hospital?
It can take time for the gut to heal, sticking to a "Bland diet" can help. I continued on VAL#3 probiotic and continue to do so which in my case helps with post IBS. There are also medications for post IBS if that is what you are dealing with.

Get in for a follow up and stick with a bland diet for awhile. Good to hear no alcohol and cigarettes for 3 weeks, both are very tough on the gut and the body! Hopefully at this point you can D/C cigarettes for good!

NanciT

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

I believe they will contact me to see a doctor in 5 weeks time. Well they did many blood and stool tests (I’m not sure what for exactly) but they did say c diff was detected and then cleared hopefully.

Basically I was wondering if these symptoms sound usual for c diff recovery? I’ve got a bunch of probiotics including S boulardi, I also just started taking sillicolgel before meals as I believe it is supposed to soothe the gastrointestinal tract hopefully.

Also I’ve just started taking digestive enzymes before meals, I’m hopeful someone here has a bit of advice and experience with taking these things, and hopefully it’s good to use enzymes with probiotics etc

Any info and opinions are nice to hear, it’s been an awful 2 months full of problems and pain, I believe I’m very slowly getting better even though there’s some ups and downs.

:)

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:15 am

Also I’ve seen that taking oregano oil with probiotics might not be the best idea, but what about tuneric tablets and probiotics? Can they be taken together?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 am

It sounds like you are taking alot of supplements, be careful with that. Probiotics are great but people sometimes over due them. I take ONE VSL#3 pill a day...that's it.

You mentioned BM's are improved and they have checked you for everything, due to all the travel that is very important. Is there a way to get in before 5 weeks? If not, can you call to verify and speak with the nurse that all testing was negative? If it were me, I would want those results and I would explain my symptoms. I had Post IBS and went on a medication for that which can help, but they need to diagnose that.
The gut takes time to heal, have you been following a bland diet? I started slow and added foods when I felt better. There are still some foods that give me trouble.
As far as digestive enzymes, a few have mentioned them on the site, you are in the healing process and it can take some time. I would make a call and confirm all tests results and let them know your symptoms. Also tell them everything you are taking, the GI should advise

NanciT

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 am

Well when they did all the tests I was in hospital for two weeks, so I think they were all negative apart from c diff or I’m sure they would’ve said if it was something else really I was under pretty reasonable care for 14-15 days.

I just drink green tea and water, have salmon, toast, eggs, avocado, sweet potato, bananas, maybe chicken if I’m being adventurous LOL, but yes trying to follow a pretty bland diet generally as a couple times I’ve had discomfort after certain food or too much etc.

I went to a doctor yesterday and he said I’ve got a lot of gas etc and he says hopefully if i give it time I could get better but Itl be something they check in the longer term, so I’m not really sure what he meant by that.

Iv had some constipation etc also so I’m semi all over the place with BMs, not water as of late though.

Thanks for the replies it’s nice to actually have someone with the experience of it to hear from :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Things can and will be "all over the place" for awhile and then you will see each day will get better. For some like me it takes a long time, other's it rather quick.
I still cannot tolerate beef, it's been 3 years. Sometimes I will do well with a food, can have it a week later and it gives me problems. That's the postIBS, but I went through some testing POST CDIFF because problems continued for me. It just took a long time. I still have times when things are upset for a few days, I go back to bland and all is OK.

Recovery is different for everyone. I was on medications for a year...my gut was not happy! Dificid for nearly 4 months, but it did cure me.

Good you checked in with your MD, give it time

NanciT

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:41 am

So just to clarify something if possible

You say you had post c diff ibs, what are the symptoms of that?

Basically what I’m feeling currently is near my hips on each “corner” of my abdomen I can feel basically as if my intestines are inflamed or enlarged, uncomfortable mostly but sometimes there’s a pinching or spasm pain, I can feel things similar all over my abdomen really sometimes it moves but generally it’s here all the time but even in my rib cage and left mid stomach if feels enlarged but kinda feel likes it’s my intestines. probably worse depending on what I eat, but it’s not really like I have to run to the bathroom multiple times etc, I generally go once or twice every day or two so it’s a reasonably normal time frame so far, it just feels like the intestines are enlarged or swollen to me, it’s hard to describe though but I’m mainly worried about that more than anything, obviously stool isn’t normal and it is all over the place (not digested, fluffy etc) but from what I am see that’s fairly common.

And also, when you say you’re cured, do you get no pain at all now? Or you still have to watch what you eat? Like beef etc

Cheers

Ted.

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:46 am

Is it normal to feel sore for so long though?

I stopped antibiotics like 2 weeks ago at least and still have tenderness and a swollen feel mainly in left and right sides

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 am

Many people, myself included, get soreness. I don't know what causes it in my case. I think C more than anything, but D or loose stools can do it too. Your intestines have been through a lot and it will take time to heal. It's not like a broken arm that you can put a cast on and not use. Intestines get a workout every day when you eat, so I assume healing takes longer.

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

Okay I’ll keep people informed on my progress, it’s been a long time but I guess it’s very very slowly getting better

Teddynz
New User

Postby Teddynz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey guys thought I’d update this

I’m finally starting to feel better (yay)

Still have the odd pain or feeling there but it’s slowly slowly getting better, been around 3-4 months but it’s very slowly improving, bm’s are more solid now currently and the pain is less

Let’s hope it continues!

It has been horrible and long, but at least I can confirm it does get better eventually, have to see the doctor tomorrow and will explain to them how I feel currently and see what they think.

Cheers!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”