Long post-possible uti and visiting ill mother in hospital

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Long post-possible uti and visiting ill mother in hospital

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I am 2 years post c diff. Yesterday late morning, I dropped off a urine sample to have a culture done. My lower left side was hurting and I was/am having a little frequent urinatation. No burning or anything but it was bothering me. I already have a scheduled appt with my urologist next Tuesday because they found some microscopic hematuria 2 weeks ago when I had a culture for the same left side pain. The culture came back clear then. Both my father and daughter have microscopic hematuria as well. My daughter has had it for 4 years and was evaluated and fine and my 76 year old dad has had it for 35 years. My doctor has told me it is called “familial hematuria”. I should get this culture back in 2 days. Yesterday afternoon we got a call about my 74 ur old mother who is out of state. She is in a memory care unit for late stage early onset Alzheimer’s. She fractured her hip and is now in the hospital. Tomorrow, she is being transferred to the hospital’s Hospice wing because she is too frail for surgery and they are going to just “manage her pain”. I am flying home tomorrow through Monday to help my dad and see my mom. I will definitely wash hands well, and will wear my disposable gloves while at the hospital. It is possible that I may get results from the urine culture while visiting my parents. The thought of visiting a hospital concerns me but the thought of visiting a hospital and potentially needing to take antibiotics terrifies me. This sounds like the perfect storm. Is there anything I can or should do in the meantime? I’ve been increasing my water, taking D Mannose, drinking cranberry juice and continuing my daily VSL3. I may also add Florastor later this morning. Thank you.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Long post-possible uti and visiting ill mother in hospital

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

The best thing is good hand hygiene. If you can avoid touching surfaces do so but that does not include touching your mom...of course you touch and hold her, but no hands to mouth ever and good hand washing.
You should be fine.

Good luck getting another negative urine culture and I am sorry about your mom.
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Long post-possible uti and visiting ill mother in hospital

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:03 pm

You could also wear gloves. They should have plenty at the hospital.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”