Finally decided to be tested

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Finally decided to be tested

Postby Tracy430 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi All,

So I'm on my second course of antibiotics for diverticulitis. First, Augmentin, which didn't resolve it and then Cipro/Flagyl combo. On top of that, Amoxicillin in March and three months later Cipro for UTIs. I'm sure my intestines are a disaster. I haven't had a formed bowel movement for months and now I wake up every morning with horrific stomach cramps and "D". No fever, no aroma, just lots of cramping and gas.

I saw the GI yesterday who advised me to do a stool panel to be tested for C-Diff. I can't imagine with everything I've been on and my symptoms it will be negative, but I've been surprised before. At this point, I will just be relieved to find out one way or another.

Thanks for all your support.

Tracy

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Finally decided to be tested

Postby Ril » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that your test is negative for c diff and that the diverticulitis resolves. It is terrible to have so much GI distress.
I imagine you have been taking probiotics, especially Florastor 2x per day.

And you have certainly had more than your share of antibiotics. If I were you, when this is over I would read the CDI section of this site for some hints for ways to avoid antibiotics and when unavoidable the list of least likely c diff offenders to discuss with your dr....
Every little bit helps.

Good luck,
Rita

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks, Rita. I’ve been on Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii about 3-4 times a day. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. The problem is that the last two UTIs required stronger antibiotics. Then I got the diverticulitis. I can’t take Macrobid because I have a family history of pulmonary fibrosis. I hate antibiotics with a passion. Are they still treating folks prophylactically with Vancomycin?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:12 pm

As far as Vanco goes, it really depends on the GI.
My GI and Urologist had a meeting and felt the Vanco was a trigger for my UTI's and ended up treating the one that cultured over 100,000 colonies with Keflex after seeing the complete C&S. I had many Post CDIFF but only treated the one.
The diverticulitis is very difficult to deal with often needing two antibiotics. Maybe have your GI consult with an ID and see if they can come up with a plan.
I started taking D Mannose while on this site and dealing with the UTI's, my urologist felt it couldn't hurt. It has really worked for me, talk with your urologist about it , there is also alot of info online.

Hope you feel better soon!

NanciT

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am

I have D-Mannose ready to go as soon as I'm recovered from the Diverticulitis. Mine has a cranberry supplement and I wasn't sure if it would aggravate things.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:15 pm

What's the connection of Macrobid and pulmonary fibrosis? My father passed away from that.

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am

So did my sister. One of the side effects of Macrobid is pulmonary fibrosis. Of course, it's one of the safest in terms of C-Diff, but not if you have a history of pulmonary fibrosis.

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally decided to be tested - Update

Postby Tracy430 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Well, against all possible odds, I tested negative. I’m kind of in shock considering how many antibiotics have taken since March, many are the worst of the worst offender. I feel like this was a combination of Divine intervention and the continuous use of probiotics.

As always, I am so appreciative that this forum is available. It’s invaluable.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 pm

I would continue taking those probiotics for a few months at least. Glad you were negative.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 am

Congrats on the negative test result , you must be relived. However your gut is still in dysbiosis state and it might be a good ideea to keep taking the probiotics and eat foods that are easy to digest.

Tracy430
Regular Contributor

Postby Tracy430 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 am

For the past 6 years, I have judiciously taken probiotics, simply because I am prone to UTIs and I never know when I'm going to have to be treated. After antibiotics, I usually take the same dose of probiotics that I did when I was on the antibiotics for at least a couple of months. The anxiety of being tested again was seriously impacting my health. I am relieved but am also aware that I"m not out of the woods yet.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”