Dental

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Sez123**
Regular User

Dental

Postby Sez123** » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 am

Aside from a chest infection my tooth which has a chip in it is starting to hurt

Do dentists routinely put antibiotic cream/pwd in a feeling or is it always oral antibiotics. That is If there’s an infection?! Last time I had this type of pain it was an infection in the root but was too close to the original c diff infection so i opted to extract the tooth rather than treat the infection in the tooth.

I can’t keep extracting teeth tho lol I’m only 35 I need solid food
The pain is in another tooth filling.

I’ll obv stay well away from clindanycin I think the alternative is flagyl anyway

roy
Administrator

Re: Dental

Postby roy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 am

A dentist should clean out an infected tooth and fill it, possibly root canal it.
The gunk they sterilize it with is not a c.diff risk.
Oral antibiotics are not automatically needed before or after the procedure.
I have had several done and antibiotics have never been suggested.

That's one lousy dentist if the only option offered was extraction!
Your far more likely to need antibiotics after an extraction than after any other procedure.
Even then it's very rare!

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm

you’re right abt the dentist being lousy Roy. Hence the huge issues I’ve had with all her fillings. I’ll be going elsewhere

She wanted to give me flagyl AND augmenting for a tooth abscess. It was a few weeks after my initial cliff infection. I sure as hell wasnt going to take not one but TWO antis
So she said only other option is to extract. I took that option

Im comforted to know that fillings won’t require antis.

She had once put antibiotics straight in the canal but I could b mistaken. I’ll certainly pay more attention now

Thanks

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Time to find a new dentist for sure!

Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:02 am

An extraction while a tooth is infected is a HUGE risk of complications and a much worse infection.
Not to mention the risk that the local anaesthetic will not work!
Infected tissue is alkali and blocks the anaesthetic from working!
I know this because a dentist tried to pull my infected tooth and it hurt like hell, he would not stop so I hit him square on the jaw!
He ended up on the floor and I ended up in ER with blood pouring from my mouth from the damage he caused.
38 years later I still have that tooth because the new dentist i went to root cannaled and repaired it.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 pm

so should I have persisted with a root canal WITHOUT the antis she wanted to prescribe?? There was an infected abscess there so she wanted to treat orally first before she started the root canal

I’m curious just so if I’m in that position again (thanks to her crap work I might be) I’ll know what to do

You’re right abt the anaesthetic not working Roy it was VERY painful. I’m a strong woman and had been through a lot but I just burst out crying with the pain like a kid

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”